Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
The most well-known classical example is of course probably De Falla´s Canciones Espanolas.

I´ve recently bought some very inexpensive CDs from the Columna label with songs by Guastavino, Blancafort and Homs, which were disappointing, partly due to the performers, but this one with songs by Joaquin Nin

Forehead Nose Glasses Chin Smile

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2003/Apr03/nin.htm

was very attractive & well sung, by Elena Gragera. Unfortunately however, the CD doesn´t contain any song texts.

There are mp3 samples here
http://www.amazon.com/Joaquin-Nin-Canciones-1929-1930/dp/B00CVSCBL0

As regards Granados´ Tonadillas, I haven´t encountered some really good recordings yet, but I´m sure they exist.

Fine Renaissance composers of songs include Alonso Mudarra and others.

·
Registered
9,923 Posts

I'm afraid this video of Estrella Morente singing por siguiriyas will not help you with your Spanish, as flamenco is largely sung in the Andalu dialect of the south, and the phrasing is often strung out or otherwise bent as per long-established custom. But it gives me an opportunity to sneak some cante flamenco into the Forum!

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
Dmitri Shostakovich - De Profundis and Malagueña, the first two movements from Symphony no.14 op.135 (1969) based on texts by Lorca. Most versions are sung in Russian but the Haitink recording with Julia Varady and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau are sung in Spanish.

George Crumb - La guitarra, Casida de las palomas ocuras, Canción de jinette, 1860 and Casida del herido por el agua: the four Lorca settings from Songs, Drones and Refrains of Death (1968)

Manuel da Falla - Siete canciones populares españolas: El paño moruno (The Moorish Cloth), Seguidilla murciana, Asturiana, Jota, Nana, Canción & Polo (1914)

Manuel da Falla - Canción del amor dolido and Canción del fuego fatuo from the ballet El amor brujo (1914-15)

The rock band Santana also did some good songs in Spanish, including their cover of Tito Puente's Oye Como Va plus El Nicoya, Toussaint L'Ouverture, Guajira and Gitano.

Hope that's enough to get you started. :)

Reactions: Triplets

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

Check this one " Libre" and others canciónes de Nino Bravo. Hay muchas y son preciosas. Espero que te ayden. ( aqui con las letras). Tambien puedes escuchar Juan Manuel Serrat y Leonardo Favio - un cantante y director argentino, a ver si te gustan. Esas canciones con letra profunda que tiene sentido que tambien es importante para un estudiante del idioma ;)

aqui la tienes, tambien es una de mis canciónes favoritas " Caminante, no hay camino, se hace camino al andar" dedicado a Antonio Machado. Serrat usaba la letra de su poema.
Todo pasa y todo queda,
pero lo nuestro es pasar,
pasar haciendo caminos,
caminos sobre la mar.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
You may want to investigate the prog-rock from Spain.

They had a strong prog-rock scene of their own occurring along with the rest of Western Europe. Add Spanish folk and Flamenco influences to the mix, and the results were unique.

Check out:

Bloque
Etioz
Triana
Asfalto
Crack
Granada
Amarok - more of a folk rock band, but had strong prog influences. Beautiful female vocals.

Reactions: clavichorder

·
Registered
414 Posts
Probably the best protest song ever

A beautiful and very moving song, like so many others that Victor Jara left us in his tragically short life.

If you can, try to find his final album, Canciones póstumas. It's a great mix of protest songs (Manifiesto, Aquí me quedo), love songs (Cuando voy al trabajo - one of the most beautiful love songs I've ever heard in any language), and classical Andean instrumental music (Caicaivilu, Doncella encantada).

Here's one more, by Violeta Parra - Volver a los 17. Another utterly beautiful love song. There's a really nice version of this song on the album Geraes by Milton Nascimento. He sings it in a duet with Mercedes Sosa.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.