Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
We have a similar station to CFM in Toronto. It's mission is to help it's listeners "unwind, de-stress and chill out", or some such drivel.

The interesting thing is how limiting that objective is: they wind up playing the same pieces over and over. For instance, lots of Vivaldi, but only the four seasons. Lots of Saint-Saens, but nothing as strenuous as the Organ Symphony. Instead, rondo capriccioso every day. You get my drift.

Whether classical music is exciting or relaxing is like how you listen to or play the Goldberg Variations. Did poor insomniac Mr. Goldberg listen to the music in the hopes of being lulled to sleep? There are some fairly soporific performances that subscribe to that view. Or did he listen for the fun of unravelling each variation? ("I'm up anyway so I may as well try to figure this music out?") Sure enough, lots of performances out there that delight in the wit, sparkle and fun of Bach's genius.

Unfortunately, I think what gets lost when the radio stations adopt "the most relaxing music in the world" angle, is the idea that most classical music is just plain fun, even when dramatic or angst ridden.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts