Classical Music Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well I am certainly not going to argue over what relaxes me may not relax you, I personally find Bach Fuges, Toccatas etc very relaxing. Just out of curiosity which slow movements do you find not relaxing?? I will give them a hearing
It was a sarcastic remark on the "would suggest that 90% of slow movements are relaxing" :) Ok, seriously though, a fast movement can be relaxing and slow movement can be dark and intense. Just 'cause it says Adagio or Lento doesn't mean it's gonna be relaxing.

G

·
Yes I agree “see my last post” it comes down to definitions, for me virtually any music in my collection will do the trick so long as its classical.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is an extract from an interview with Nikolaus Harnoncourt:

"... music should always affect people's lives. It has always always been my conviction that music is not ther to soothe people's nerves or to bring them relaxation, but rather, to open their eyes, to give them a good shaking, even to frighten them. If music cannot do this, then I don't play it..."

My sentiments exactly

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just listened to Schoenberg's Herzgewächse, and, though it's a fairly slow piece, it's not very relaxing at all - it's very eerie. Alot of Schoenberg's stuff is very eerie sounding, and gives me chills down my spine.

G

·
I just listened to Schoenberg's Herzgewächse, and, though it's a fairly slow piece, it's not very relaxing at all - it's very eerie. Alot of Schoenberg's stuff is very eerie sounding, and gives me chills down my spine.
Well, none of his music is relaxing for me, in fact it has the opposite effect, agitation

·
Registered
73 Posts
Verklärte Nacht has a very kind of melancholy mood to it, and also gives me a bit of a goosebumpy feeling. Schoenberg in general can be said to be not very relaxing, but I wouldn't really say that all of his music is agitating, either.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Verklärte Nacht has a very kind of melancholy mood to it, and also gives me a bit of a goosebumpy feeling. Schoenberg in general can be said to be not very relaxing, but I wouldn't really say that all of his music is agitating, either.
No, just his 12-tone stuff is agitating. :D

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Have I hever, yes, I have it by The Chamber Music Soc of Lincoln Centre.
I'm talking about "Verklarte Nacht" arranged for string orchestra by Schoenberg. You've heard the string orchestra adaptation? You should hear Karajan perform this piece. You must remember these Schoenberg compositions I'm talking about are tonal works.

G

·
I'm talking about "Verklarte Nacht" arranged for string orchestra by Schoenberg. You've heard the string orchestra adaptation? You should hear Karajan perform this piece. You must remember these Schoenberg compositions I'm talking about are tonal works.
I have heard the Karajan, I really do not want to get into a discussion on Schoenberg!

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I have heard the Karajan, I really do not want to get into a discussion on Schoenberg!
Okay...sorry, but I'm just trying to find out what you dislike about "Verklarte Nacht," "Gurrelieder," and "Pelleas und Melisande." These are beautiful pieces of music regardless of who composed them!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have to agree with OP in this matter. While some classic music can be rather relaxing (Mozart's Flute and Harp concerto anyone?), I still have trouble actually relaxing to it. It's just that my mind starts working when I hear music of as high a caliber as alot of classic music, so instead, I end up more "awake" than I was before! Imagine listening to a complex fugue when trying to fall asleep, can't be very easy hehe.

I did one time try to fall asleep with classic music playing in the background (a guy told me about this one time where he had fallen asleep and the music had affected his dreams, thought it would be interesting to give it a try), failed miserably thought.

Either way, people who can do their homework while listning to Beethoven's 9:th are most likely not listening to it the right way, or listening at all. The ninth is supposed to invoke hope in the listener, feelings of joy and perserverence. One can not sit and do homework while such messages are flowing through your ears.

G

·
I think you are linking sleep with relax, if you are angry, wound up or stressed etc which is the opposite of relaxed then music that you enjoy, be it orch, chamber, choral, opera should make you forget the trials and tribulations of life and put you in a happier frame of mind ie relaxed, not send you to sleep.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This annoys the hell out of me too, especially because I like the more aggressive and noisy side of classical music. I don't of course want it to be that all the time, but I need at least some kind of intense climax in a classical composition. If something is just called "relaxing" I usually don't waste my time with it. I usually like to think symphonies as some kind of heroic journey, as an adventure, and I'm not big fan of classical music that has little sense of struggle and drama (baroque and the actual classical-period classical).
Classical period? Mozart has everything you describe as wanting, in spades!

·
Registered
494 Posts
"John Brunning presents our brand new programme - two hours of relaxing classics to help you wind-down at the end of each day."

"un-wind "

"Annie-Marie Minhall presents the perfect blend of classical music to make your weekend a relaxing one."

etc etc etc...

I'm sick of Classic FM, and how it has shoved a flippin' great syringe in to the heart of Classical music's image and sucked out of all the passion, vigour, bombast, fireworks, dazzling virtuosity and thunderous power.

There 's always that poxy woman, the one with the really annoying "smiling while talking" voice constantly wittering on about "relaxing and unwinding" with the world's most "beautiful music".

They could have focussed on the great dramatic power, the profound nature of much of the music, the darkness, the light, the endless nuances, the incredible complexity, vibrancy, the awe inspiring genius behind the greatest compositions.

But no.

It's about how "relaxing" it is.

What they are saying is they think that your brain is too small to buy in to all the passion and the huge emotional scale of classical music, so we're going to concentrate our marketing on the bits that will put you in to a stupor, or help you "clear out your mind" while doing your homework.

The best music stirs the soul. It doesn't give it a blanket and hot water bottle.

(BTW - hello!)
If you are someone who listens to rap and rock and then you turn over to classic FM you are likely to hear something more peaceful then your used to.

I think they are also trying to use this label of relaxing as a way to attract people, Like you said its marketing, they think they can attract people who are stressed or anxious, that's why they have those programmes in the evening, after a days work.

but I agree with you, its annoying.

·
Registered
625 Posts
How easily some people are annoyed! By classical music to relax to? Come on, luminaries as great as Mozart and Haydn wrote music for the great and good to relax to. If you don’t like the relaxing classics then for goodness sake don’t listen to them. Just leave it to those who do. I can’t stand Andre Rieu but I don’t begrudge those who do. Good luck I say!

·
Premium Member
7,162 Posts
As someone who absolutely hates radio I agree with the OP. Planet Rock have done a simular massive disservice to rock music (how many times can they play 'All Right Now' in one day?) but until people stop listening to this drivel we're stuck with it. I've just listened to a brilliant recording of Janacek's 1st Quartet and a similarly fiery 2nd Quartet recording and if anyone thinks that is "relaxing" then I think they need serious medical attention as their ears may not be working and they may be bereft of any emotional responses.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts