Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it is known that several composers used substances to create, do you ever listen under various substances?

There is one here in Ohio called Delta 8 THC which I enjoy, it's like legal Marijuana. It's a different experience for sure.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Classical Music Under the Influence (CMUI): the operation of a compact disc player or record turntable whilst impaired by alcohol or drugs.

1st degree misdemeanor; 18-month suspension with 6 months probation afterwards.

"Honestly, officer, I didn't hear that crescendo approaching ... "

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Alcohol is my drug of choice. One of my most pleasurable ways to relax and renew is to pour a nice scotch, bourbon, or cognac. Put on some favorite music and just listen. It's how I almost always end a Sunday. Certain composers demand a special drink: when Vaughan Williams is on, it's always Harvey's Bristol Cream, which the composer also enjoyed. For Bax it's usually Jameson's Black Barrel Irish Whisky or even a Guiness. My well-stocked bar is always ready! I have never used any other drug - legal or not - and never will. Although a friend who was very much into Magic Mushrooms back in the '60s says you've never heard Mahler until you've heard it while under the influence of psilocybin. Not a route I want to take.

·
Registered
Sibelius, Beethoven, Satie, Debussy
1,701 Posts
It's not a good idea to music ''inspired'' by substances. I see no good in it except for encouraging listeners to try them as well. Women might be an exception because most people legitimately have the experience. It should not be encouraged, though.
Your first sentence misses a critical word or two...

And I'm not sure I understand the reference to women. Are they a drug to be forsworn?

Oh, and yes, I've often listened to music while under the influence of alcohol, but I've only taken non-prescription drugs twice and music was not involved at the time.

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
There was a time when I took marijuana quite often and music certainly sounded different when I did. The details stood out much more but perhaps at the expense of the overall structure. I also think that it helped in my early days of listening to contemporary music - it made sense much more quickly. Other substances that I have tried haven't enhanced classical music for me although I think I can remember the more punky rock music sounding better when I had taken amphetamines (usually with alcohol).

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Would the composers or the performers of CM be pleased if they knew their works were heard by people with deliberately impaired brain function? I get all the juice from music with a cleanly-functioning mind--tears, joy, tears of joy. The only music I know that is deliberately to be heard under the influence is the Semuta music of Dune

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Alcohol is my drug of choice. One of my most pleasurable ways to relax and renew is to pour a nice scotch, bourbon, or cognac. Put on some favorite music and just listen. It's how I almost always end a Sunday. Certain composers demand a special drink: when Vaughan Williams is on, it's always Harvey's Bristol Cream, which the composer also enjoyed. For Bax it's usually Jameson's Black Barrel Irish Whisky or even a Guiness. My well-stocked bar is always ready! I have never used any other drug - legal or not - and never will. Although a friend who was very much into Magic Mushrooms back in the '60s says you've never heard Mahler until you've heard it while under the influence of psilocybin. Not a route I want to take.
Psilocybin - is that not an obscure tone poem by Sir Granville Bantock?

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
As a working musician your gigs are in bars, with liquor readily available, often for free. Plus during breaks it is not uncommon (understatement) for patrons to offer you other things ... After a while we became used to performing with some kind of buzz and made a joke, "in order to play stoned, you have to practice stoned."

:)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
weed goes well with Feldman

i'd suggest MDMA with anything with really interesting timbres but honestly if you're doing MDMA listen to something other than classical music (also it's illegal)

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
Would the composers or the performers of CM be pleased if they knew their works were heard by people with deliberately impaired brain function? I get all the juice from music with a cleanly-functioning mind--tears, joy, tears of joy. The only music I know that is deliberately to be heard under the influence is the Semuta music of Dune
What does it matter to you (let alone composers)? I suppose you also feel that people with a mental illness shouldn't listen to good music? And also that it wouldn't be right for people with particularly perceptive or imaginative minds to use their brains to listen to music? It seems that if we are not in an SF book we must all come down/across/up (?) to the level of mere mortals such as yourself!

1 - 20 of 228 Posts