Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,236 Posts
That being said, you can listen to music however you want, but music should be good enough in its own terms. You shouldn't have to take a substance just to enjoy listening to something.
I agree, but the issue is whether taking a preferred substance might enhance one's musical enjoyment. I've known folks who would answer in the affirmative and others who would say it's just the opposite. Takes all types.

·
Premium Member
38,236 Posts
New Mexico now allows the selling of weed for recreational purposes at licensed stores. From what I hear, folks from Texas are driving in to make their purchases. Anyways, there's a licensed store within walking distance from my home. Maybe I'll meet some composers from Texas there.:cool:

·
Premium Member
38,236 Posts
I used to smoke quite a bit of 'draw' back in the 80s and up to the kids being born. It did enhance musical experiences for me (and my friends) but I got fed up with the lethargy that came with cannabis. I'm not a sit-still type of person so it wasn't an ideal drug for me.
Not all cannabis is of the sit-still type; some types are rather exhilarating.

·
Premium Member
38,236 Posts
For those of you who do smoke weed, do you prefer to smoke just one type at a time or mix them up? My preference is a good mix that results in a better high for musical enjoyment.

·
Premium Member
38,236 Posts
There's a "right dose" for me because I'm very sensitive to the psychoactive effects of THC and there's a thin line between "a fun, great, time" and "anxiety-induced existential panic." Luckily that line has thickened as I've adjusted to the effects over the years, but a few really bad highs made a big enough impression that I don't want to revisit them.
Got it. I've been lucky - over 50 years and never had a bad high.

·
Premium Member
38,236 Posts
Not sure what your typical dosage is, but edibles are the easiest way to get "too high" due to their very unpredictable nature. If you eat a lot and most of the THC metabolizes in your system (as opposed to being destroyed by your stomach acids) then it can hit like a punch from Tyson in his prime. Of course, different subjectivities will react differently to being in that state. I didn't realize I was the "existential panic" type until it happened! Your years of experience will probably help in that you likely have a higher tolerance and are more adjusted to such altered states. My "too high" experiences happened shortly after I started trying it. I've been cautious ever since.
Sounds a little complicated. I fill my pipe and smoke until I'm satisfied; I do wait a few minutes after each hit to get an "updated" profile of the situation.

Anyways, classical music sounds great when completely sober and twice as great under the influence.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts