Classical Music Forum banner
201 - 220 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Got it. I've been lucky - over 50 years and never had a bad high.
Not sure what your typical dosage is, but edibles are the easiest way to get "too high" due to their very unpredictable nature. If you eat a lot and most of the THC metabolizes in your system (as opposed to being destroyed by your stomach acids) then it can hit like a punch from Tyson in his prime. Of course, different subjectivities will react differently to being in that state. I didn't realize I was the "existential panic" type until it happened! Your years of experience will probably help in that you likely have a higher tolerance and are more adjusted to such altered states. My "too high" experiences happened shortly after I started trying it. I've been cautious ever since.

·
Premium Member
38,978 Posts
Not sure what your typical dosage is, but edibles are the easiest way to get "too high" due to their very unpredictable nature. If you eat a lot and most of the THC metabolizes in your system (as opposed to being destroyed by your stomach acids) then it can hit like a punch from Tyson in his prime. Of course, different subjectivities will react differently to being in that state. I didn't realize I was the "existential panic" type until it happened! Your years of experience will probably help in that you likely have a higher tolerance and are more adjusted to such altered states. My "too high" experiences happened shortly after I started trying it. I've been cautious ever since.
Sounds a little complicated. I fill my pipe and smoke until I'm satisfied; I do wait a few minutes after each hit to get an "updated" profile of the situation.

Anyways, classical music sounds great when completely sober and twice as great under the influence.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Sounds a little complicated. I fill my pipe and smoke until I'm satisfied; I do wait a few minutes after each hit to get an "updated" profile of the situation.

Anyways, classical music sounds great when completely sober and twice as great under the influence.
I wouldn't say edibles are complicated (just eat and wait), but the effects are unpredictable. Smoking/Vaping is more predictable and less potent.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The classic mistake with edibles is that they take a while to "kick in", so people accidentally re-dose.
True, but even without that edibles are very unpredictable. First time I tried them was with the "firecracker" method, basically putting some cannabis between graham crackers, chocolate, and peanut butter, and baking them. One day I had 1/4 of one and felt nothing; the next day I had another 1/4 and was in the shower when I was literally knocked backwards, tunnel visioned, too dizzy to stand, mind in dreaming-while-awake mode... and it's not just because the two 1/4s were in different amounts: I literally measured/weighed the amount of cannabis up and split them evenly. It's just that one day it all got metabolized and the other day it didn't.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
My worst high was actually when I smoked too much - no bad mental issues but I had severe vertigo for several hours. Not fun.

The most "artistic" drug of modern times, LSD is infamously unpredictable - not knowing what you'll get is sort of part of the "interest" in that, though it's generally an interesting time when listening to music - in my experiences the most unpredictable part were emotional responses - very strange to experience absolute soul-crushing sadness almost vicariously (not a fun trip though the mood rapidly shifted)

If you don't want predictability just take ecstacy.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts

If you can listen to CM and it doesn't become too tense, then this might explain why no bad trips. Something about your body or your outlook makes it easier to just get enough every time.
I haven't tried in long time to listen to CM. It gets too intense, too true, as they say..

I switch to pop and jazz, get wowed, and then very quickly I want to play. And that's when the fun really begins! You can be a 'version' of yourself in your playing, OR you can play very eccentrically and sentimentally. There's so many things flashing through your mind from past musical experiences.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
My worst high was actually when I smoked too much - no bad mental issues but I had severe vertigo for several hours. Not fun.
I've read the vertigo is due to cannabis being a vasodilator. The expansion of blood vessels leads to a drop in blood pressure, which leads to the vertigo for the same reason as standing up too fast can (called postural hypotension). The "cure" is, perhaps counter-intuitively, to get up and walk/run around, because exercise will help raise your blood pressure. When this happened to me the worst thing was trying to sit still and feeling everything spin.

The most "artistic" drug of modern times, LSD is infamously unpredictable - not knowing what you'll get is sort of part of the "interest" in that, though it's generally an interesting time when listening to music - in my experiences the most unpredictable part were emotional responses - very strange to experience absolute soul-crushing sadness almost vicariously (not a fun trip though the mood rapidly shifted)
I think DMT is taking over that role from LSD, though I don't know how aware one can be of music while on it. The kind of experiences people describe on DMT range from hellishly nightmarish to the most spiritual and enlightening, and it often resembles descriptions of near-death experiences. I'm fascinated with the idea but probably too chicken to ever actually try it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
All recreational drugs have the potential to enhance sensory experiences (not just listening to music). Most of my use was a long time ago when I was in college. LSD was our drug of choice back then, and I remember purposefully "tripping" while listening to classical music to see what happened. I'd create programs of music to listen to. Sometimes it was phenomenal, sometimes not...but with LSD the experience was limited to the "trip" itself, and very little of that experience carried over into every-day life. It was like a far-off memory of visiting a foreign land. I recall a particularly intense "trip" with Scriabin, and I've never liked the "Poeme d'extase" more than in that altered state. But listening to Scriabin sober, while enjoyable, was not the expansive experience it was on LSD.

That said, I haven't done any hallucinogens since then and don't plan to! They are just too heavy duty. I do a little pot now and again, and it can enhance the listening experience, but it's important to buy THC products at a legit dispensary where the quantity of THC in edibles, for instance, is precise and predictable. Notably I cannot really function productively on THC (e.g., can't practice the piano), so I limit my THC use to the occasional fun listening session (and sometimes to help with arthritis pain).

·
Registered
329 Posts
The kind of experiences people describe on DMT range from hellishly nightmarish to the most spiritual and enlightening, and it often resembles descriptions of near-death experiences. I'm fascinated with the idea but probably too chicken to ever actually try it.
There is no probably here, I am chicken!!! I've had a time or two with LSD/Mescaline, and a few other combos that were not at all good. And that will stay in the past. :)

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
There is no probably here, I am chicken!!! I've had a time or two with LSD/Mescaline, and a few other combos that were not at all good. And that will stay in the past. :)
While I really have no interest in most psychedelics, DMT does give me pause if only because so many people come out of with such life-changing positive experiences. I've heard that most "negative" experiences come from people trying to "hold on" to conscious control and fighting against the drug trying to take them wherever it wants to take them. But people have described such wondrous experiences being on the stuff. Apparently the guy who did the illustration in some of Tool's (the rock band) covert arts/booklets was inspired by his DMT experiences:

Lots of people have described meetings with gods, extra-terrestrials, or what's commonly called the "machine elves," or jesters... but basically other conscious life-forms that seem to know everything about you. My own hunch is that these experiences represent some part of our brain that is capable of conceiving of ourselves as a separate entity, so essentially we're meeting ourselves, and a lot of people learn a lot from that encounter because that "us" may know a lot about the "us" we try to suppress, hide, run from, escape, etc.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
All recreational drugs have the potential to enhance sensory experiences (not just listening to music). Most of my use was a long time ago when I was in college. LSD was our drug of choice back then, and I remember purposefully "tripping" while listening to classical music to see what happened. I'd create programs of music to listen to. Sometimes it was phenomenal, sometimes not...but with LSD the experience was limited to the "trip" itself, and very little of that experience carried over into every-day life. It was like a far-off memory of visiting a foreign land. I recall a particularly intense "trip" with Scriabin, and I've never liked the "Poeme d'extase" more than in that altered state. But listening to Scriabin sober, while enjoyable, was not the expansive experience it was on LSD.

That said, I haven't done any hallucinogens since then and don't plan to! They are just too heavy duty. I do a little pot now and again, and it can enhance the listening experience, but it's important to buy THC products at a legit dispensary where the quantity of THC in edibles, for instance, is precise and predictable. Notably I cannot really function productively on THC (e.g., can't practice the piano), so I limit my THC use to the occasional fun listening session (and sometimes to help with arthritis pain).
I fell off a quonset hut a long time ago and I have an annoying tick in my back. It helps with that. Something about relaxing that area - and relaxing the mind/stress.
You can play the piano more mindlessly. It's a trip, but you'll probably sound very lost and disjointed to someone listening. It seems, we'll tend to hear and then not hear in short episodes, depending upon what's going on in your thinking.
There's a newness to the experience so you don't dwell on any one aspect, like how well you really sound. lol

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
That's why I would never try it. It is an amphetamine derivative, I believe!😜
Not sure it is, but a lot of the cheap/scam stuff is probably cut with cheaper stimulants like dextroamphetamine or something along those lines.

I'd say classical would be fun with MDMA but the reality is that anything is, it's one of the most predictable drugs out there in that way. Probably best with something with a lot of sumptuous texture, so maybe put on that Wagner instrumental "Bleeding Chunks" disc, hah (I didn't use classical, I used The Avalanches - Since I Left You which was great for that)

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Not sure it is, but a lot of the cheap/scam stuff is probably cut with cheaper stimulants like dextroamphetamine or something along those lines.

I'd say classical would be fun with MDMA but the reality is that anything is, it's one of the most predictable drugs out there in that way. Probably best with something with a lot of sumptuous texture, so maybe put on that Wagner instrumental "Bleeding Chunks" disc, hah (I didn't use classical, I used The Avalanches - Since I Left You which was great for that)
Yes thanks, the music is nice (for cruising) and not too predictable. The plot of the video is clever and it's a clever takeoff on the Flashdance iconic scene. All well done.

201 - 220 of 228 Posts