Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I have no doubt that they did not simply close the thread because the OP requested it with no reasoning.
Art Rock gave the reason. He said the thread was closed because the OP had requested it. If he had other reasons, I'm sure he would have said.

I'm done. Think what you want
Normally, I'd say otherwise, but I don't think your contributions will be missed

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The thread starter asked to close the thread, giving the reasons why. I looked at the reasons and the thread, and decided to oblige.

As I said in my first reply, "we will usually oblige". Not automatically and not always. It is the call of the moderator who receives the request, and if we find that the request is reasonable, we will close the thread. But in our experience thread starters do not just ask us for deletion - they usually have strong arguments.

Anyway, the moderating team is discussing this further as posted by mmsbls.
What difference does it make if the request comes from the thread starter?

·
Administrator
11,936 Posts
If the reason is that an OP "simply don't like certain posts" wouldn't this be refused point blank?
We would look at the thread, and if we felt there was no issue strong enough to close the thread, we would keep it open. I was simply giving an example to show that we would not necessarily close a thread because an OP requested it.

Seems like capricious and/or whimsical reasons that the mods are responding to.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. We, of course, respond to any request by an OP, but we don't necessarily do what they ask.

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
Right, I've held off saying anything till now as i shouldnt have to justify why i asked the thread to be closed (except to the moderators which i did so). However here goes.....

I started the Hurwitz thread as a lighthearted endeavour. I was curious what people thought of his videos and was interested to hear the thoughts of others (both positive and negative). At first all went well, then it got a little heated and finally the thread started to die a natural death as those who had something to say had said it. However, in the past month (and from the beginning tbh) its mainly been home to one particular member's obsessive anti-Hurwitz rants. As a result the thread had become a joke, a kind of Monty Python Argument sketch with a rather toxic, finger-pointing atmosphere and some "I'm having the last word because im right" statements. Discussions about the content had become irrelevant and it had turned into a character-assasination thread of the kind that i did not want anything to do with. This was NOT what I had intended at the outset. It was also being bumped with inflammatory statements designed to goad others into childish arguments. I resisted several requests from friends / other posters to ask for the thread to be closed, hoping that it would die a natural death but some people wouldnt lie it die. In the end the thread did not reflect my intentions so (giving my reasons) I asked the mods to politely close the thread understanding they may say no. The fact they did, for me, justifies my view that the thread had run its course and had become nasty, toxic and absolutely nothing new was being said.

I dont see the problem, tbh. A new thread was started and the new one will no doubt continue with the same trolling bumps, inflammatory statements and derailment and that's fine by me but dont get me involved.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
... However, in the past month (and from the beginning tbh) its mainly been home to one particular member's obsessive anti-Hurwitz rants ... Discussions about the content had become irrelevant and it had turned into a character-assassination thread of the kind that i did not want anything to do with ... It was also being bumped with inflammatory statements designed to goad others into childish arguments ...
To me your thread is perceptive and the sentences quoted make it crystal clear. It is a fact of life that sometimes a person will develop an intense dislike for some prominent figure in the music world. Such a person crosses a line when they use TC to mount a campaign against their target. Negative repetition, character assassination, and entrainment of others to join the claque are well-known tactics. Nowadays I feel that the whole membership can help by pointing out such situations before they cause too much damage, e.g. people leaving TC.

·
Registered
Sibelius, Beethoven, Satie, Debussy
1,698 Posts
I'd like to say that the OP does not 'own' the thread or the discussion and as such has no superior claim on the proceedings than anyone else.
'Superior' claim? Perhaps not, but a claim nevertheless. Members start threads for all kinds of purposes (not all for honest reasons) and it may be that once the purpose has been served, it's reasonable to ask that it be closed IF leaving it open might allow a distortion of the purpose.

While the OP does not own the thread, he/she did start it and otherwise it would not exist in this form. If he/she would prefer it closed (often because of derailment), we will usually oblige. The thread is not deleted, and the posts are still there for everyone to read. Closing a thread at the OP's request does not mean that the subject cannot be discussed anymore - anyone can start a new thread on the subject (or whatever the subject had become).
I've found that not all closed threads are readily available. It was several hours before I could even see that the Hurwitz thread had been closed - that is, hours after this thread had been opened. I hadn't even been following it, so it had been showing up in the list of 'new posts', but not as 'closed'.

Right, I've held off saying anything till now as i shouldnt have to justify why i asked the thread to be closed (except to the moderators which i did so).
You're right, you shouldn't. I'm not sure quite why Penfold has got quite so exercised about it, but I can see that once the moderators have made a decision, it's more helpful and transparent to say why a thread has been closed than just 'at the request of the OP'.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Reading the latest page of the new Hurwitz thread totally justifies my decision.

Lol! You beat me too it - I was going to reply to Forster explaining that this is a 5 post argument, not a ten post one!

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
I've found that not all closed threads are readily available. It was several hours before I could even see that the Hurwitz thread had been closed - that is, hours after this thread had been opened. I hadn't even been following it, so it had been showing up in the list of 'new posts', but not as 'closed'.
That might be due to one or several database tables not being updated ... those updates run in the background every few hours or so.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Maybe in the future, when a thread is closed, the moderators simply state the reason it was closed, not who in TC requested it be closed. Keep us anonymous.
I think this is a good idea which would prevent the mistaken impression that the OP has special power to close threads. One wouldn't say, as a moderator, "user 'xxx' was banned by the request of user 'yyy'" just because user "yyy" filed a report.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
But I like teasing Henry, Barbebleu! :devil:
Be careful about teasing me, I know Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Karate, Aikido, Kendo and several other Japanese words ..........

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.