Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In adopting a minimal, low complication life, I gave up many things. I adopted a love for good coffee, not seeing it as contradictory.

I use dark roasted beans, a grinder, and a moka pot or Aeropress for brewing. I generally drink black but will occasionally use cream and sweetener.

Any other coffee nerds out there?

· Senior Moderator
I DON'T BELIEVE IT!
43,042 Posts
Sure thing. In the morning (breakfast and later) we brew a big pot, using beans (alternating from Colombia, Brazil and Sumatra) freshly ground. Our coffee maker comes with a thermos style can, no heating to keep it warm (and turn it sour). Black, no milk, no sugar, both for my wife and myself. In the afternoon, we make a quick cuppa on the Senseo machine from pads. In the evening sometimes a decaf from the same machine. When we take coffee outside, it is usually a latte macchiato for my wife and a cappuccino for me.

· Registered
3,400 Posts
Here's another. I grind my own using a burr grinder from dark roasted beans and use a French press. I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can drink "coffee" from a Keurig machine. Unless they're Americans who have no taste.

· Premium Member
42,121 Posts
I never drink the stuff, but I do get coffee ready for my wife. One thing I told her when I wanted to retire early was that I'd have her coffee available every morning. She isn't very fussy and likes Starbucks "dark". I do like grinding the beans; I tend to enjoy destroying things.

· Registered
969 Posts
I spent too much time in the pacific northwestern US during the 90s to not like coffee. I'll even spend the extra money to get good coffee

I'm pretty Spartan, so if I spend extra money on anything other than strings, you know its serious

but the best coffee I even found was when I was stationed in Hawaii with the US Navy. The kona coffee on Oahu was superb. There is something about that lava rock soil in hawaii that makes EVERYTHING they grow on those islands sweeter than the same thing grown anywhere else in the world.

Sadly, I think the Hawaiians keep the best for themselves. I can get Hawaiian Kona coffee in the stores here, but its not the same 😟

· Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's another. I grind my own using a burr grinder from dark roasted beans and use a French press. I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can drink "coffee" from a Keurig machine. Unless they're Americans who have no taste.
My mother loved that kureg swill.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
My coffee grinder died this morning, ordered this bad boy as a replacement

I tend to like African coffees, particularly Kenyan. Been drinking the Volcania AA, which I order on Amazon, but also recently ordered some from this place:

· Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My coffee grinder died this morning, ordered this bad boy as a replacement

I tend to like African coffees, particularly Kenyan. Been drinking the Volcania AA, which I order on Amazon, but also recently ordered some from this place:

I will look into that roaster.

This is who I usually buy from. Sometimes a local roaster if I am close to one, but they are pricey around here.

Mayorga Coffee--specialty coffee that empowers farmers and consumers

· Premium Member
4,217 Posts
I'm very fussy about coffee so I never buy Nescafe (the red one) I always go for the premium, upmarket Gold Blend version. You can't take shot-cuts with coffee.

Liquid Fluid Bottle Drink Alcoholic beverage

· Registered
3,400 Posts
When I'm traveling, getting good coffee is a challenge. Recently in Boston my early morning choices were: McDonalds, which wasn't as bad as I expected. Starbucks everywhere, but I can't stand their overpriced, burnt coffee, nor the condescending attitude of the employees. Dunkin' Donuts was the best of the three. I've played two concert tours in China, a month each. I never could find even passable coffee - what was served had a strange taste in it. But the best I've ever had, anywhere, at any price was in a small cafe just behind Vienna's Musikverein. Wow was that great joe. In London I got my hit at Pret a Manger and for being fast-food brew was ok. In Vancouver it was always Tim Horton's, kinda like Dunkin'.

· Registered
27 Posts
I enjoy black coffee. Morning and afternoon are the best times for me to have several cups. Jamaica Blue Mountain, Guatemala Antigua, Colombian. Ethiopian, Community, Eight O'clock, some Maxwell House, those are what I really like. NO STARBUCKS - they can not make a good cup of black coffee lol

· Registered
550 Posts
I use a Hario V60 pourover kit and I usually have some kind of Ethiopian coffee (which I get from local specialty coffeeshops – Monmouth and Prufrock coffee are great, to start with). A pourover takes slightly longer and slightly more effort, but it's not that difficult – and the end of it you've got an excellent cup of coffee, without needing a coffee machine.

· Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I am away from home I go to independent coffee shops if one is around. I almost always get Americano, preferably from dark roast. For chain stores Dunkin donuts can make an Americano, but you have to watch them do it or you might get whatever they have brewing. McDonald's isn't bad if fresh and they have dark roast.

Black coffee only please.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts