Classical Music Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
There are a few features that are missing that I found had enhanced my experience of the old forum: being able to display a thread with the most recent posts at the top, and being able to hide member avatars (I just find them distracting). Also missing is a Reply button at the top of the thread (very convenient). The added reaction emoticons do not interest me at all.

I've also noticed that the intrusion of ads both in the side bar but also with posts showing up that are sponsored infomercials. Obviously I could buy a Premium membership for "reduced" ads. OTOH I might find my time at TalkClassical could decrease because of the changes.

Bottomline - the forum does not seem as transparent and easy to navigate. But that could be because I am still learning how to get around. But I do miss the features I mentioned at the top.

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
"Gameland" has at least 10 active games running every day with each game having up to 20 players. That means that there are 200 updates every day seven days a week. Like me, this can be a bit of a trial. However, these updates are the only means that Gameland has to make itself known to potential new players within the forum. We need to continually draw upon a fresh pool of players because one of our game creators - Shaughnessy - is a polarizing figure with a rather abrasive personality (which, in his defense, he wouldn't have if people could resist the temptation to get on his nerves but apparently they can't). Personally, I wouldn't let Shaughnessy anywhere near that section of the forum. If it were up to me, I would post a huge neon sign on the forum reading - "Gameland - New and Improved! - Shaughnessy-Free".

And so... If you could implement Becca's proposals without depriving "Classical Music Discussion Polls" from being advertised in the "New" category for those members who don't mind seeing it in the list, we could all live with that. If not, we're just going to have to learn to live with one another - to be each other's friend - to be each other's neighbor - whether we like it or not.
If the games are removed from the New Posts list - this will seriously undermine the value of TC for me. OTOH if there were a mechanism to uncheck any threads or forums we wish to ignore, that would be great.

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
Are they ads selected for you or are they selected for the forum as a whole? Maybe we need a more positive image.
I don't have either problem and also haven't Googled them. So I don't know why I would be targeted unless it is because of my age. But how would this forum software know my age, I did not give it my birthdate.

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
How can I get my page to allow me to see the top posts first instead of the last posts first?
I asked for the same thing on the first day - I think - I asked display the most recent posts in a thread at the top. I think they said they couldn't do it. I also asked to be able to turn off displaying avatars. Something also beyond the capabilities of the software.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.