Classical Music Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
301 - 320 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
There are workarounds. You have 24 hrs to edit a post, which is generous. Simply change the post to read entirely something else rather than the first attempt. If you have a complete failure, you can report your post and ask it to be taken down. The mods are reasonable.

One can argue that the member should be able to delete a post, but only if there have been no replies, quotes, likes or dislikes which makes logical sense to me. I did see a moderator comment to the effect that by disallowing members from deleting their own post, the temptation to "troll" is all but eliminated. So there are two points of view, and both points have merit. But then the mods "have the gold" so "they rule", no?
I can see both sides here also. I think maybe giving us a five-minute or ten-minute window after posting to delete a post made in error wouldn't be harmful, except perhaps in the most heated of threads, because posts that just read "[deleted]" or "........." are mere clutter. It's not an issue I personally feel strongly about but it at least deserved some discussion.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
No one minds the ads? We never had them before. I don't know how the site was supported before without them and I see that they could have become necessary for revenue..
If you sign up as a premium member for $19.95/year the ads go away.

You can attempt to use various ad blockers, but they don't work as well. There is one that works, but you will get nagged to sign up for their annual plan for $59.95. I don't know if you like nagware, but I'm more irritated by those than by the ads.

I think the annual premium member plan is a bargain. I hope it helps the forum, & I hope it doesn't change. :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
But following a member is not something they can consent to, is it? Are they informed they're being followed?

Soon after I first joined TC two people made friend requests of me. I didn't know what it meant but I accepted and I came to think it as a nice welcome to the site and show of solidarity.
Yes, members are informed when someone follows them. At least, that’s my experience on other Xenforo forums. If I read it right, it doesn’t matter who follows you. What you are doing when you follow someone is allowing them access to features that you have locked for other members, such as viewing your profile or sending PMs (starting conversations in Xenforo parlance).

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Please excuse me if this has already been sorted, but can someone tell me how I disable/hide 'recommended Reading' ?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I'm having a problem with the scrollbar. It keeps disappearing. Since the site takes quite a luxury with the use of vertical space, it's too slow to use the scroll wheel alone, especially for jumping down to the most recent post.
I'm using Chrome on Linux, Version 99.0.4844.74 (Official Build) (64-bit).

I will say congrats however on the much improved mobile experience. Since I spend more time on my phone than PC these days, I should be more engaged on TalkClassical than I have been recently.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I'm having a problem with the scrollbar. It keeps disappearing. Since the site takes quite a luxury with the use of vertical space, it's too slow to use the scroll wheel alone, especially for jumping down to the most recent post.
I'm using Chrome on Linux, Version 99.0.4844.74 (Official Build) (64-bit).
Ok I just upgraded to the latest Chrome (Version 100.0.4896.127 (Official Build) (64-bit)) and it seems to have resolved the scrollbar issue. I guess it was a bug in Chrome. Carry on then. :p

·
Registered
19,686 Posts
Why does the new post space ask me to write my "reply," since I'm not replying to anything but rather asking a question? I think the inventors of computer-world terminology need dictionaries, or English lessons if they're in India like everyone else nowadays.

OK, that's that...

My main question is: why, on my profile page, is my profile information followed by pages of posts by member Itullian? He is one of my - what do we call them now? Contacts? Followers? The people who used to be "friends"? - but I certainly have no need to see his posting history. We used to see avatars of all our "friends" in our profiles. That was nice. This is ...odd, and the new profile page is quite sterile.

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
Sorry if this was previously asked, but I can't go through 312 posts. We used to have private messages, but now I don't see it. There are conversations, but are they private or open to the entire TC community, or worse, people who are not even registered? I would hate to give gory details on something like r e c t u m surgery or something (no, I didn't have that, just an example) in the conversations and then find it is announced to the world. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
30,564 Posts
Sorry if this was previously asked, but I can't go through 312 posts. We used to have private messages, but now I don't see it. There are conversations, but are they private or open to the entire TC community, or worse, people who are not even registered? I would hate to give gory details on something like r e c t u m surgery or something (no, I didn't have that, just an example) in the conversations and then find it is announced to the world. :eek:
The conversations replace the message system, and they are private. Only the people you choose to share them with can read them (and reply to them).

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
The conversations replace the message system, and they are private. Only the people you choose to share them with can read them (and reply to them).
Thank you. Conversations are a lot easier to work with than the old message system.

·
Administrator
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
My main question is: why, on my profile page, is my profile information followed by pages of posts by member Itullian? He is one of my - what do we call them now? Contacts? Followers? The people who used to be "friends"? - but I certainly have no need to see his posting history. We used to see avatars of all our "friends" in our profiles. That was nice. This is ...odd, and the new profile page is quite sterile.
It looks like those are old profile posts. Would you like for me to remove them?

Within your Privacy settings there is an option to prevent anyone from posting on your prfile page.
Sky Font Magenta Circle Darkness

If you make changes, make sure to click save when you are done.

-Cricket

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
VSAdmin calls these "profile posts". They're what used to be called "Visitor Messages". I'm not sure why your answers don't show up on your profile. If you look on Itullian's profile and look at the messages for June 12 2020 you'll see the other half of the conversation - weird or what?

·
Registered
19,686 Posts
VSAdmin calls these "profile posts". They're what used to be called "Visitor Messages". I'm not sure why your answers don't show up on your profile. If you look on Itullian's profile and look at the messages for June 12 2020 you'll see the other half of the conversation - weird or what?
Definitely weird. Guess I'll just add this feature to all the other things in life better ignored.

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
Years ago I was asked by one of the mods (Krummhorn, perhaps) to remove the apostrophe from elgar's ghost as it caused some kind of technical glitch. I was wondering whether the apostrophe could be reinstated now that the site has been upgraded? Thanks.

Reactions: pianozach
301 - 320 of 357 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.