Classical Music Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
321 - 340 of 357 Posts

·
Administrator
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
Years ago I was asked by one of the mods (Krummhorn, perhaps) to remove the apostrophe from elgar's ghost as it caused some kind of technical glitch. I was wondering whether the apostrophe could be reinstated now that the site has been upgraded? Thanks.
I am sending you a private message.

- Cricket

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is anyone else having issues with the "unread" option? That is, there are some threads that I've clicked on in the past AND also have new posts. When I open one of these threads, the site frequently takes me to the first post rather than to page 40 or wherever the new posts are.

·
Administrator
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
Is anyone else having issues with the "unread" option? That is, there are some threads that I've clicked on in the past AND also have new posts. When I open one of these threads, the site frequently takes me to the first post rather than to page 40 or wherever the new posts are.
It can take the software a bit to catch up with what you have and haven't read.

Navigating Thread Listing

• Clicking the thread title will take you to where you left off, the 1st unread post.
  • Clicking the timestamp below the title will take you to the 1st post of the thread.
  • Clicking the timestamp above the last poster user takes you to the last (newest) post.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Sometimes you can easily resize images from covers, if the size is part of the URL. Sometimes you can't.

In the latter case, the forum software offers the parameter "width" that you can use to resize your images at your will.

The syntax for the BBCode is:

(IMG width="300px") <URL to image> (/IMG)
... or whatever size you like.

Of course, you'll use square brackets in place of the round ones and you'll omit the <> left and right from the URL and the spaces next to them.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,282 Posts
Has anyone raised the issue of not being able to easily identify closed threads?
It's a matter of eyesight - closed threads have a little ( and I do mean little) padlock in the thread listing
If the last post was written by a moderator and reads "This thread is now closed" - that's another pretty good indicator...

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,282 Posts
The new poll software is really first-rate - You can actually edit the poll itself once it's posted which is a feature that I've never seen on any other forum. Previously, you would have to reach out to a moderator to fix whatever you broke and they would be very kind and gracious about doing so until you asked them like six or seven times to fix something and their subsequent responses would be a little on the sharp side.

Note: You have to be careful - very careful - when entering your "Possible Responses" because if you accidentally hit the "Enter" key on your keyboard it immediately posts the poll live - You can go back and edit it - Don't ask me how I know this - even though it's active but once it goes live, people can start voting even though you haven't finished the poll.

Just remember to use your mouse to click down into the next "Possible Response" - Type in whatever the response is - and then use the mouse to click down on the next entry until you have all of your responses listed.

The temptation - the habit - of using the "Return" key is almost hardwired into our neural pathways but it represents nothing but trouble when creating your poll.

Check it over twice - click on "Post" - and hey, presto - you have yourself a poll.

·
Administrator
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
I normally just copy/paste or drag an image from my desktop to the content area of my post. If the image is too large, I click on the image and drag it smaller from the edge.
Cat Dog breed Carnivore Felidae Ear

For those who would like more options, see the tutorial below.

How To Upload Images To Posts

Start your post and normal and then click on the insert image icon.

It will pop up telling you to drag an image there or click. If you drag and drop it, you will see it show up in your post. If you click, it will allow you to navigate to where it is on your computer.

Then just click the image so it adds the file name for you, then click on open.

Finish adding any content and then simply post your reply.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,282 Posts
More than anything else - If you can convince your developers to devise a way to resize videos - You would be addressing one of the most glaring faults of your new website -

You have a well-designed layout that is greatly marred by the dreadful appearance of the videos - Blurred and pixelated - Hideous at best, horrid at worst.

There has to be a way for your developers to change the parameters of the code which the site renders to reduce the size of the video.

·
Administrator
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
More than anything else - If you can convince your developers to devise a way to resize videos - You would be addressing one of the most glaring faults of your new website -

You have a well-designed layout that is greatly marred by the dreadful appearance of the videos - Blurred and pixelated - Hideous at best, horrid at worst.

There has to be a way for your developers to change the parameters of the code which the site renders to reduce the size of the video.
I will definitely pass this on.

- Cricket

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

Thanks for your help. I hope they can fix it.

321 - 340 of 357 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.