Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently the 60s and 70s boxsets of Karajan's work on DG feature some remasterings of key things such as the Bruckner and Schumann cycles.

Pain in the bum that you need to buy massive, expensive boxsets to access these remasterings and a pain in the bum that DG can't be bothered to be clear about what they have and haven't remastered.

They've also reissued the Karajan Symphony Edition in 2014 - apparently NOT using the remasterings used for the 70s boxset. Again though, this isn't made clear one way or the other.

Anyone know anything about all this?!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
There was a pretty long article about this in IRR (International Record Review) a few months back. I don't remember the answer to your question, and I didn't save the magazine, which has gone out of business in the last 2 months, but which should be easy to obtain from a decent library.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was a pretty long article about this in IRR (International Record Review) a few months back. I don't remember the answer to your question, and I didn't save the magazine, which has gone out of business in the last 2 months, but which should be easy to obtain from a decent library.
I doubt this is going to be anything I can hope to source but thank you anyway.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I don't think that remastering matters a whole heck of a lot in classical music. It's usually mastered pretty well, so any improvement is liable to be minor. That doesn't apply so much to stuff that wasn't mastered particularly well in the first place (Bernstein NY or Stravinsky conducting Stravinsky on Columbia).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Apparently the 60s and 70s boxsets of Karajan's work on DG feature some remasterings of key things such as the Bruckner and Schumann cycles.

Pain in the bum that you need to buy massive, expensive boxsets to access these remasterings and a pain in the bum that DG can't be bothered to be clear about what they have and haven't remastered.

They've also reissued the Karajan Symphony Edition in 2014 - apparently NOT using the remasterings used for the 70s boxset. Again though, this isn't made clear one way or the other.

Mark E. Stenroos who is absolutely reliable in this matter claims that the Beethoven and Bruckner cycles have been newly remastered.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R23ALY...channel=detail-glance&nodeID=5174&store=music

·
Registered
14 Posts

Hi Tempo - I have the review and a friend has the boxset if you need any particular query settling.
K.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.