Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
As someone more interested in 20th century music than music from any other period, and constantly looking forward, I just wanted to say muchísimas gracias, schigolch! All of your recommendations will keep me busy for the next several months (or years!). Es un trabajo increíble el que hacés

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Ok, so this week I listened to a few contemporary operas. I don't remember if they were already discussed or brought up here, but I wanted to share them anyway. I will just give a few adjectives of how I thought/felt about them.
I started on tuesday with Kurtág's final work "Fin de Partie" based on Beckett's play of the same name. It was quite dense, in the sense that it dragged on for a bit, but I really enjoyed it all in all, not my favorite work by Kurtág, but a great one anyway.
Then yesterday I listened to Rihm's "Die Eroberung von Mexico". All I can say is that I absolutely loved it, it's an astonishing work. The day continued with two Haas' operas "Bluthaus" and "Morgen und Abend". I really liked Bluthaus, it's full of crazy moments and great climaxes, the polyphony of voices and characters is very interesting. "Morgen und Abend" on the other hand is a much more leaner work, I would go as far as saying that it is quite pretty, especially the orchestral writing. It gets off to a slow start without any singing for 25 and then picks up. Although it can be a bit uneven, I think it's a good work. These are the two operas by Haas' that I found on YT, don't know if these are his best.
And today I finally listened to "Alice in Wonderland" by Unsuk Chin, one of my favorite contemporary composers. I must say I was really disappointed apart from a few scenes, not very cohesive and not very exciting. Then it was time for Golijov's "Ainadamar". This opera rivals Rihm's for my most enjoyed work of the week. It's very moving, very open to different styles (the percussion and the rhythms sometimes create this feeling of electronic music which is amazing), great voice writing and a very ambitious work which strives for greatness and something greater than the sum of its parts, it has a longing for something deep and beautiful.
So, Schigolch, and the rest of the participants on this thread, have you listened to these works? What do you make of them?

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
This week I listened to 2 contemporary french operas: 60e Parallele from 1997 by Philippe Manoury and Passion from 2008 by Pascal Dusapin. I really liked both, the second one I'd even recommend it to someone that is not so interested by contemporary music, it's not classical by any means, but it borrows some things from baroque opera. There are recordings on spotify of both, and here's a performance on Youtube of the Dusapin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts