Classical Music Forum banner
681 - 700 of 717 Posts

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #681 ·
"Les Enfants d'Izieu" (1993) is an opera written by Nguyen-Thien Dao, about 44 French children captured by the Gestapo in Izieu, and taken to concentration camps:

·
Registered
32,507 Posts

Program

The Murderess (Η φόνισσα)
Opera by Giorgos Koumendakis (b. 1959)
Libretto by Yannis Svolos, based on Alexandros Papadiamantis' novel of the same title

The Murderess' tells the story of Hadoula - also known as 'Frangoyannoù' - an old woman living on the island of Skiathos in the mid-19th century. At that time, daughters born into poor families were considered an economic burden. Hadoula takes pity on such families and, after killing her own newborn granddaughter, goes on to murder other young girls in what she considers 'mercy killings'.
The opera follows her every thought and step, delving deep into her troubled soul.
Casting

Greek National Opera Orchestra
GNO Chorus
GNO Children's Chorus
Vassilis Christopoulos (Conductor)
Alexandros Efklidis (Stage Direction)
Mary-Ellen Nesi (Mezzo-soprano) : Frangoyannoù (The Murderess)
Anna Stylianaki (Soprano) : Maroyssò
Tassos Apostolou (Baritone) : Ioassaf
Myrto Bokolini (Soprano) : Delcharò
Vangelis Maniatis (Baritone) : Yannis Perivolàs
Sophia Kyanidou (Soprano) : Yannoù
Fylli Georgiadou (Soprano) : Xennoula's mother
Yannis Christopoulos (Tenor) : First police officer
Yanni Yannissis (Baritone) : A magistrate
Nicholas Stefanou (Tenor) : Second police officer / Asseso
Marilena Striftobola (Soprano) : Kriniò
Stelina Apostolopoulou (Soprano) : Toula
Miranda Makrynioti (Mezzo-soprano) : Myrsouda
Georgios Papadimitriou (Baritone) : A doctor
Maria Konstanta (INTERPRETE) : Amersa
Angelos Nerantzis (INTERPRETE) : Konstantìs

Sunday, December 12 at 21:00 on Mezzo Live HD

Tuesday, December 14 at 17:00 on Mezzo Live HD
Friday, December 17 at 09:30 on Mezzo Live HD
Sunday, December 19 at 02:00 on Mezzo Live HD

I found this for you schigolch, hope you can receive the Mezzo Channel
Snips on You Tube

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
I recently watched two contemporary operas:

MUHLY: Marnie
PERFORMANCE DATE: NOV 10, 2018

CONDUCTOR: Robert Spano
MARNIE: Isabel Leonard
TERRY RUTLAND: Iestyn Davies
MARK RUTLAND: Christopher Maltman
MRS. RUTLAND: Janis Kelly
MARNIE'S MOTHER: Denyce Graves

ADAMS: Doctor Atomic
PERFORMANCE DATE: NOV 8, 2008
COMPOSER: JOHN ADAMS
LIBRETTIST: PETER SELLARS

CONDUCTOR: Alan Gilbert
J. ROBERT OPPENHEIMER: Gerald Finley
KITTY OPPENHEIMER: Sasha Cooke
EDWARD TELLER: Richard Paul Fink
ROBERT WILSON: Thomas Glenn

Both were well done, IMO, and the Met did a good job with the productions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like Marne quite a bit. I think it's very well designed, and I am a sucker for anything Ms. Leonard does. (She's also a fun follow on Instagram.) I have taken a couple of runs at Dr. Atomic, but never been able to get into it, despite being very familiar with the underlying Oppenheimer/Manhattan Project story.
It has also been great to see the Met doing some new operas. We went to see Fire Shut Up in My Bones in HD last month, and I listened to Eurydice on Saturday. I don't think either one is a great opera, but they are both worth the time to listen.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
I like Marne quite a bit. I think it's very well designed, and I am a sucker for anything Ms. Leonard does. (She's also a fun follow on Instagram.) I have taken a couple of runs at Dr. Atomic, but never been able to get into it, despite being very familiar with the underlying Oppenheimer/Manhattan Project story.
It has also been great to see the Met doing some new operas. We went to see Fire Shut Up in My Bones in HD last month, and I listened to Eurydice on Saturday. I don't think either one is a great opera, but they are both worth the time to listen.
I haven't seen Fire Shut Up My Bones since The Met hasn't made it available on their Opera on Demand yet.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There’s some really good recommendations on this thread! I’ll have to go and check out some of the operas I’m not yet familiar with, and it’s nice to see so many links to performances. A few that I’ve enjoyed (I think most of these, if not all, have been mentioned) include L’Amour de Loin (Saariaho), Written on Skin and Lessons in Love and Violence (Benjamin), Alice in Wonderland (Chin), Lost Highway (Neuwirth), FAMA (Furrer), Lohengrin and Macbeth (Sciarrino)… there’s many others too. I haven’t managed to watch Innocence by Saariaho yet, but am hoping to do so soon!

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Georg Friedrich Haas: Thomas (2013)

Georg Friedrich Haas (*1953)
Thomas, Opera for voice and ensemble (2013)
libretto by Händl Klaus

Otto Katzameier, Thomas
Wolfgang Newerla, Matthias
Kai Wessel, Michael
Daniel Gloger, Dr. Dürer
Michael Feyfar, Dominik
Raminta Babickaite, sister Agnes
Ruth Weber, sister Jasmin
Sarah Wegener, Ms. Fink from the funeral service

Catalina Vicens, Olga Zheltikova, harpsichord
Martin Malaun, zither
Luisa Marxen, Agnieszka Koprowska-Born, percussion
Viviane Chassot, accordion
Estelle Costanzo, harp
Flavio Virzi, mandolin
Wolfgang Sehringer, Andrés Hernandéz Alba, guitar
Michel Galante, conductor

Elisabeth Gabriel, director
Vinzenz Gertler, stage & costumes
Guido Petzold, light
Saskia Bladt, dramaturgy
Heta Multanen, video

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #691 ·
There's some really good recommendations on this thread! I'll have to go and check out some of the operas I'm not yet familiar with, and it's nice to see so many links to performances. A few that I've enjoyed (I think most of these, if not all, have been mentioned) include L'Amour de Loin (Saariaho), Written on Skin and Lessons in Love and Violence (Benjamin), Alice in Wonderland (Chin), Lost Highway (Neuwirth), FAMA (Furrer), Lohengrin and Macbeth (Sciarrino)… there's many others too. I haven't managed to watch Innocence by Saariaho yet, but am hoping to do so soon!
"Innocence" is a wonderful opera, indeed; and with a great libretto by Sofi Oksanen. Hopefully I will also be able to watch it some day, though I'm not going to the theater since the first wave of the coronavirus.

At least, we can take a look online in the meanwhile:

https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/097910-000-A/kaija-saariaho-innocence/

·
Registered
146 Posts
"Innocence" is a wonderful opera, indeed; and with a great libretto by Sofi Oksanen. Hopefully I will also be able to watch it some day, though I'm not going to the theater since the first wave of the coronavirus.

At least, we can take a look online in the meanwhile:

https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/097910-000-A/kaija-saariaho-innocence/
Indeed, that's where I was planning to watch it. I know someone who was able to see it live, and they said it was marvellous. I've been able to see quite a few contemporary operas live in the theatre, so I'm thankful for that.

·
Registered
32,507 Posts

French composer Guillaume Connesson (*1970) is building an impressive musical oeuvre, to which he has recently added an opera: 'Les bains macabres'. For this romantic contemporary thriller opera he worked closely with librettist Olivier Bleys (*1970), a successful French author with dozens of novels to his credit. The result is an enigmatic narrative with a film noir soundtrack about the macabre 'Bains Terminus': ailing patrons who come to take the waters here never leave. When the Pool police investigates their mysterious deaths, the realms of life and death turn out to be not as separate as expected... In this February 2020 production, directed by Florent Siaud, soprano Sandrine Buendia plays the part of Célia and baritone Romain Dayez plays Mathéo. Conductor Arie van Beek conducts the Orchestre des Frivolités Parisiennes.
Found a ( for me) new one.

Reactions: schigolch
681 - 700 of 717 Posts