Classical Music Forum banner
701 - 717 of 717 Posts

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #703 ·
Joseph Phibbs was born in London, and is a composer, a pianist and a cellist. He has been working in association with the BBC, during all the 21st century.

"Juliana" is a chamber opera from 2018, that we can find in youtube:

·
Registered
32,507 Posts

Olga Neuwirth (geb. 1968)
Orlando
Kate Lindsey, Anna Clementi, Eric Jurenas, Constance Hauman, Margaret Plummer, Agneta Eichenholz, Orchester der Wiener Staatsoper, Matthias Pintscher

schigolch out in April .

Reactions: schigolch

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #705 ·
Olga Neuwirth had a huge impact with "Lost Highway", around 20 years ago. It was an opera adaptation of the David Lynch film. It's really interesting:

"Orlando" is also very promising, Neuwirth has won the Grawemeyer Award for this opera.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
On May 20, the renowned Kronos Quartet will release Mỹ Lai, an acclaimed opera which tells the story of one man's efforts to stop the 1968 massacre of over 500 unarmed civilians by the US Army in Mỹ Lai, Vietnam.

Mỹ Lai premiered to rave reviews in 2017, with the LA Times writing: "It reminds us of our ability to stumble across beauty when there is otherwise no meaning, only insanity, to be found." Now, this definitive recording captures the madness, raw emotion, and musicianship of the performance for all to hear.

The unimaginable brutality of the event impacted all those who witnessed it firsthand, including helicopter pilot Hugh Thompson, who, against orders, intervened to save Vietnamese lives. Thompson's true story is the basis of the opera, composed by Jonathan Berger with libretto by Harriet Scott Chessman, and features Vietnamese multi-instrumentalist Vân-Ánh Vanessa Võ and vocalist Rinde Eckert. (Folkways)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I clearly understand this a great contemporary opera thread, but coming in late into the game I would love to see a kind of recap of the operas that have been featured in this thread. It would probably enable me to contribute to this thread. So Schigolch if it is not too much to ask, plse give us an overview. Most of the operas mentioned are in my collection, but then some are unknown territory.
Thks Justekaia

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #709 ·
It's more than 10 years now, since the thread was started.

I think it's too late now for an index, or similar.

But please feel free to contribute with any content you like. We can discuss an opera several times.

In fact, discussing the same opera endlessly, it's just the way this great passion works. :)

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #710 ·
There is a long list of operas inspired by Carroll's Alice. Some of them discussed in this same thread.

Let's mention one of the more recent ones, written in 2016 by the Irish composer Gerald Barry, under the title of "Alice's Adventures Under Ground" (the original title that Carroll planned to use for his first Alice novel). The opera was premiered at the Royal Opera House on 3 February 2020:

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #712 ·
The British composer John Joubert wrote his last opera, "Jane Eyre", based on Charlotte Brontë, during more than 10 years. It was finally completed in 1997. It's complete in youtube:

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #714 ·
"Eurydice" is an opera written by Matthew Aucoin with a libretto by Sarah Ruhl, premiered at the Los Angeles Opera in 2020, and then at the Met in 2021.

The opera retells retells the story of Orpheus and Eurydice from Eurydice's point of view.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #717 ·
schigolch, Do you recommend any contemporary operas with Jazz or Tango influences?
There are several "jazz operas" discussed in this same thread. Just to mention one, "Shadowboxer" by Frank Potro, based on Joe Louis's 1978 autobiography, 'My Life'. There is an inclusion of an on-stage eight-piece jazz combo in addition to the pit orchestra.

It's not contemporary, but I would recommend Ernst Krenek's "Jonny spielt auf", written in 1927:

About "tango" operas, of course we need to go with Astor Piazolla's "María de Buenos Aires":

701 - 717 of 717 Posts