Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We seem to be slipping over into discussing songs in addition to operatic music (so long as they're sung by people who also sing opera?), and Huzzah say I. Is it time to amalgamate with the Vocal forum? Or at least be given official dispensation to keep on where we're headed?

· Registered
5,595 Posts
We seem to be slipping over into discussing songs in addition to operatic music (so long as they're sung by people who also sing opera?), and Huzzah say I. Is it time to amalgamate with the Vocal forum? Or at least be given official dispensation to keep on where we're headed?
I would suspect that a good deal of what you guys discuss is choral music which we never discuss nor does there appear to be any interest. I introduce songs into mezzo contests and sometimes for the men as there are so many fewer arias for lower voices to choose from.

· Registered
10,427 Posts
I agree with you. The vocal forum gets so little traffic that merging with the opera forum might give it a bit of a boost. I'm a member of another forum that groups all vocal, choral and opera posts together and it works well that way, even if the majority of posts are about opera.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with you. The vocal forum gets so little traffic that merging with the opera forum might give it a bit of a boost. I'm a member of another forum that groups all vocal, choral and opera posts together and it works well that way, even if the majority of posts are about opera.
Yes - I noticed that the Vocal Music Forum gets posts separated in time by days, not minutes like here, and that the most recent post in the thread at the bottom of their Page 1 is over a year old. A substantial part of what's posted there is about, for instance, Nuits d'été, Lied von der Erde, Four Last Songs, Lieder, etc., in posts that might have been of interest here. But mainly I wanted us to have the freedom to post about songs and solo-orchestral music without having our hands slapped. The songs of Strauss, Rachmaninov, and that new guy Sibelius should be worth looking into whether their composers are on the operatic A-List or not. And if some choral music is encountered along the way, hey: new horizons.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Is it time to amalgamate with the Vocal forum? Or at least be given official dispensation to keep on where we're headed?
It was discussed before, somewhere in the contest on Frühling by Strauss, probably the round with Arroyo. The admin was OK with having song contests here in the opera forum.

I have nothing against merging with the vocal forum. I just don't want to go check vocal forum if any contests are there. My google already remembers I visit opera forum and I want it to stay that way.

· Registered
10,427 Posts
The other forum I was talking about has an Opera and Vocal forum, which is apparently for the discussion of all vocal, opera and staged music, including ballet, though I think most people forget that, as there is little discussion of ballet music. Opera, vocal and choral all co-exist quite happily together though, even if opera and vocal posts outnumber choral. I think it works well and I would be happy if they merged on this forum too.

I started the Nuits d'été thread there, but I think it wold have got more contributions if it had been in the opera thread. I also started a Vocal Recitals thread in our Opera on DVD, BluRay and CD subforum and I post about recitals of both lieder and opera arias, as many singers are active in both fields.

· Registered
2,272 Posts
In forming or reforming any community, it's always good idea to ensure its main description is significatly exclusive regardless of the popular opinion. If that esotericism synergizes, you have coalition. If you have two exclusive doctrines however, the future won't bode well.

Said experiment follows:
Survey genres by order preference.
A Opera
B Vocal
C Chamber and Solo
D Orchestral

Marry when majority = cases where A=1 B=2 and B=1 A=2
Kill when majority = cases where A=1 B=3,4 and B=1 A=3,4

· Registered
21,849 Posts
In forming or reforming any community, it's always good idea to ensure its main description is significatly exclusive regardless of the popular opinion. If that esotericism synergizes, you have coalition. If you have two exclusive doctrines however, the future won't bode well.

Said experiment follows:
Survey genres by order preference.
A Opera
B Vocal
C Chamber and Solo
D Orchestral

Marry when majority = cases where A=1 B=2 and B=1 A=2
Kill when majority = cases where A=1 B=3,4 and B=1 A=3,4

So is opera the dog or the cat?

· Registered
204 Posts
The Opera forum here has probably about 20 times more activity than the Vocal Music forum, so if they were to be merged, the Vocal Music forum would essentially disappear. If someone was interested in art songs, but not opera, they'd have to read about 20 opera-themed titles just to find the one vocal music thread that they might be interested in, on the average. So I would vote for keeping them separate, unless there was some good way to distinguish the art songs vs. the operas vs. the choral music.

Here's another idea: rename this forum from "Opera" to "Opera and Opera Singers".

1 - 20 of 52 Posts