Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1132 Posts

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post any music you happen to be listening to: classical, non-classical, unclassifiable; well-known, rare, or simply bizarre. Anything goes.

I realize this thread is probably redundant given the other current listening threads out there, but this is just in case anyone's been holding back cool stuff because they didn't know where to post it.

No negative comments allowed--just ignore what you don't like.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
^
Didn't know about Glass' memoirs. Interesting I'll have to look it up. I would've posted Glassworks in classical, but little usually stops me.

I've been captivated by this grungy abstract short piece played on the loop on this website in the background. Music Credit - Olivier Manchion for "Symphonie desertique". Can't find anything like that but longer anywhere else. So I've been living on the John Zorn diet for a while now when I feel in experimental mood.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Pete Fountain ‎- The Blues
Coral ‎- CRL 757284, Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo, US, 1959.

Photograph Musical instrument Guitar accessory Musician Font

Found a mint copy of this album in a Salvation Army store recently -- Fountain had just left (fired, quit, no one really knows) the Welk show and recorded this record in Hollywood before heading back home to New Orleans to become a Dixieland legend. Its got more of a blues and jazz feel to it -- and come on, Pete still has his HAIR on the jacket!

·
Registered
486 Posts
"Besame Mucho" is much loved, much recorded. There are at least half-a-dozen covers that I find beautiful. But this one, by Cesaria Evora, is my all-time favorite:

·
Banned
16,021 Posts
These masterings really do sound better than the Island.

·
Retired
6,726 Posts
Prokofiev
Piano Sonatas 1-5
Piano Sonatas 6,7 & 8
Matti Raekallio
[Ondine, 2011]

This is a great set - I've listened to the first disc (sonatas 1-5) half a dozen times now. I gave the second disc - the 'War sonatas' - its first spin today and it's terrific. I much prefer Raekallio's #6 - the only one I have another recording of - to Pogolerich's live 'Carnegie Hall' recording, which is very staccato indeed. Raekallio manages to humanise some pretty spiky piano works.

·
Banned
16,021 Posts
Look at those arms, and hands! The sheer physicality of Prokofiev!

1 - 20 of 1132 Posts