Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 4865 Posts

· Senior Moderator
I DON'T BELIEVE IT!
43,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Balloon Circle Automotive design Automotive wheel system Pattern

Here we go again. In the past, this popular thread had to be re-started a number of times because the files got to big for the software used. The latest restart was with volume VIII, which accidentally practically coincided with the start of the new year 2022. Many members thought this was actually a good idea to pick a new year for a new thread, so with 2023 upon us (already or soon, depending on where you live), we are starting a new thread.

Links to previous Current Listening threads:
Current Listening Vol I
Current Listening Vol II
Current Listening Vol III
Current Listening Vol IV
Current Listening Vol V
Current Listening Vol VI
Current Listening Vol VII
Current Listening Vol VIII

A few suggestions (as if anyone bothers reading this):

Many members appreciate if you would not just post a CD cover or an embedded YouTube link. It would be helpful if you would post at least a short description (like composer, work, performers). This holds especially for videos, because not all YouTube videos can be seen in every country, and they tend to disappear over time.

It would be even better if you can post a little bit about your own take on what you are listening to. No need for extensive reviews, but a few lines would make the thread clearly more valuable to other members.

These are suggestions, not rules. They are not subject to intervention by the moderating team. :)

Have fun, Happy New Year, and enjoy listening to classical music as always!

· Registered
1,099 Posts

Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No. 4 in B flat major, Op. 60
George Szell: Cleveland Orchestra (1963)

Happy New Year! Celebrating a little bit with Szell. What an outstanding ensemble he built, and this was recorded in their heyday in great sound. This symphony isn't Beethoven's most popular (as is the case with most of his even-numbered symphonies), but I find it has its own appeal. Szell's Beethoven cycle is one of my favorites overall.

· Senior Moderator
I DON'T BELIEVE IT!
43,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Henri Vieuxtemps: Cello Concertos No. 1 and No. 2
Eugène Ysaÿe: Méditation, Sérénade
(Royal Flemish Philharmonic, Josep Caballé-Domenech, Alban Gerhardt, Hyperion)

A very appealing issue in the Hyperion Romantic Cello Concerto series. Belgian composer Henri Vieuxtemps may be more famous for his violin works (he was a virtuoso violin player himself), but these two cello concertos (1877/1879) are wonderful romantic works, full of melody and virtuosity. Combined they play for 47 minutes, so Hyperion offers a very welcome bonus with two one movement concertante works by his compatriot and fellow violinist Eugène Ysaÿe, dated around 1910. Warmly recommended to all cello and romantic concerto lovers.

· Registered
41,473 Posts

Fiesta

Simón Bolívar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela, Gustavo Dudamel

Bernstein: West Side Story: Mambo
Bernstein: West Side Story: Symphonic Dances
Carreño, I: Margaritena
Castellanos, E: Santa Cruz de Pacairigua
Estévez: Mediodía en el Llano
Ginastera: Estancia - complete ballet, Op. 8
Ginastera: Estancia - dance suite, Op. 8a
Márquez: Conga del Fuego
Márquez: Danzón No. 2
Revueltas: Sensemayá
Romero, Aldemaro: Fuga con Pajarillo from from Suite for Strings No. 1 (Orchestral version)
Romero, Aldemaro: Suite para cuerdas (version for orchestra)

· Registered
Wagner, Liszt, Mahler, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, Strauss, Schönberg. And many more...
387 Posts
Revisiting this performance:

Béla Bartók
Bluebeard's Castle

Tatiana Troyanos (soprano), Siegmund Nimsgern (baritone)
Pierre Boulez & BBC Symphony Orchestra

· Registered
4,293 Posts
J.S. Bach:
Motet: Singet dem Herrn ein neues Lied, BWV 225
Cantatas for the Sunday After Christmas:
Tritt auf die Glaubensbahn, BWV 152
Das neugeborne Kindelein, BWV 122
Gottlieb! Nun geht das Jahr zu Ende, BWV 28
Gillian Keith, Katharine Fuge, Joanne Lunn, Daniel Taylor, Jame Gilchrist, Peter Harvey
The Monteverdi Choir, the English Baroque Soloists, John Eliot Gardiner

· Banned
Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius, Bartók
6,562 Posts

Fiesta

Simón Bolívar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela, Gustavo Dudamel

Bernstein: West Side Story: Mambo
Bernstein: West Side Story: Symphonic Dances
Carreño, I: Margaritena
Castellanos, E: Santa Cruz de Pacairigua
Estévez: Mediodía en el Llano
Ginastera: Estancia - complete ballet, Op. 8
Ginastera: Estancia - dance suite, Op. 8a
Márquez: Conga del Fuego
Márquez: Danzón No. 2
Revueltas: Sensemayá
Romero, Aldemaro: Fuga con Pajarillo from from Suite for Strings No. 1 (Orchestral version)
Romero, Aldemaro: Suite para cuerdas (version for orchestra)
One thing is wrong with this tracklisting --- this recording does not contain Ginastera's Estancia in its entirety. There are only two recordings of the complete ballet: Ben-Dor on Conifer (reissued on Naxos) and Mena (Chandos). This Dudamel is only of the dances.

1 - 20 of 4865 Posts