Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Poulenc - Chamber Music
by Ensemble Wien-Berlin, James Levine

View attachment 151294
Your post has just reminded me that I have this.....one of the earlier CD's I bought and remember how good it is ( I went through a big Poulenc 'phase')....now where the hell is it?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
As with Weston ( see above) I encounter the 'doldrums' this morning, wistfully recalling visits to Finland (particualrly with my son) years ago and like Knorf ( see above in his reference to Shosty's 4th) I concluded that I need to 'blast' my lugs.....

Sibelius-Karelia Suite, the Gibson one!

Fixed!.......at the earliest opportunity I am going to Helsinki, if I survive staring at this bloody screen and attempting to teach real human beings.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Alban Berg: Sieben frühe Lieder, Der Wein, Drei Orchesterstücke
Anne Sophie von Otter
Wiener Philharmoniker, Claudio Abbado

How I adore these gorgeous recordings! Sumptuous, enchanting listening.

What a great cover!....Was fortunate enough to see the original on a visit to Vienna. Also managed to get a ticket for the VPO ( Bruckner 6 and Mozart 26) conducted by the apparently much maligned Welser-Most.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Who is it? Schiele?

I've seen Welser-Moest twice in Vienna and he was fantastic, a wild man in Bruckner and Mahler. And then you watch his very good Bruckner Cleveland DVDs and he's dull as dirt (not necessarily the performances, the orchestra is sooooo good). Weird. It's almost as if he's influenced more by the orchestra than the orchestra is by him? I think the Viennese are a tough bunch to influence and the Clevelanders do their spectacular thing with little influence from a conductor. I wonder if any of this is true, but what would be the point of discussing if it's just demonstrable?:devil:
It is Schiele.....I was so overawed by the very fact of being at a VPO concert that I did not think to focus on Welser Most.....just enjoyed the music and the occasion (the concert was actually preceded by a reception in honour of Abbado who had just passed away and nobody thought to chuck me out so I ended up with a small brochure and a free drink!)

Reactions: Malx and ELbowe

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
While I might share certain reservations that many have expressed regarding Hurwitz I really enjoy much of what he has to say about various aspects of Dvorak's music.......particularly his enthusiastic advocacy of the earlier symphonies (primarily because he agrees with me!)

With the 5th I would naturally turn to Jansons and the Oslo PO am now thoroughly enjoying Suitner and the Staatskapelle Berlin.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
While I might share certain reservations that many have expressed regarding Hurwitz I really enjoy much of what he has to say about various aspects of Dvorak's music.......particularly his enthusiastic advocacy of the earlier symphonies (primarily because he agrees with me!)

With the 5th I would naturally turn to Jansons and the Oslo PO am now thoroughly enjoying Suitner and the Staatskapelle Berlin.
And today.....the 2nd ( which Hurwitz appears to have a real enthusiasm for) from the Suitner cycle.....

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Just before 'Lockdown 2' I bought an amazonia alexa thing.....then I upgraded my prime membership which gives me access to a load of music....( sorry if I sound like an advert)....working in my small spare bedroom/ 'home office'...it has proved invaluable as I realised I could listen to stuff before purchase and find music/performances I had not had the opportunity to listen to....

Celibidache-Brahms Symphony no.2 ( DG recorded in the mid 70's with the Stuttgart Radio Orchestra)

Frequently encountered mention of the debate regarding this conductor and in this particular instance am really enjoying this performance.If there is what some people might regard as a problem with tempo I cannot hear it. Will go onto the 3rd and then have a listen to the later recordings made in Munich.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Just before 'Lockdown 2' I bought an amazonia alexa thing.....then I upgraded my prime membership which gives me access to a load of music....( sorry if I sound like an advert)....working in my small spare bedroom/ 'home office'...it has proved invaluable as I realised I could listen to stuff before purchase and find music/performances I had not had the opportunity to listen to....

Celibidache-Brahms Symphony no.2 ( DG recorded in the mid 70's with the Stuttgart Radio Orchestra)

Frequently encountered mention of the debate regarding this conductor and in this particular instance am really enjoying this performance.If there is what some people might regard as a problem with tempo I cannot hear it. Will go onto the 3rd and then have a listen to the later recordings made in Munich.
Have now progressed to the 3rd and 4th.....Wonderful!

1 - 20 of 275 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.