Status
Not open for further replies.
18561 - 18580 of 25606 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Jean Sibelius: Symphony No. 1 in E minor, Op. 39
Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan

Among the most propulsive, dynamic Sibelius recordings of the First I've heard, and a favorite of mine!

The sound quality of that recording leaves much to be desired, unless those Warner incarnations have improved that point. As to the performance itself is cogent indeed.

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Off to West London today to see our son and take in a rugby match, so not a lot of time for listening. Will squeeze this in as and when I can.

Vivaldi: Andromeda liberata (Serenata Veneziana)

Andrea Marcon - Venice Baroque Orchestra, La Stagione Armonica, Max Emanuel Cencic, Simone Kermes, Katerina Beranova, Anna Bonitatibus, Mark Tucker

·
Registered
32,431 Posts

Haydn: String Quartets, Vol. 1

Doric String Quartet

Haydn: String Quartet, Op. 20 No. 1 in E flat major
Haydn: String Quartet, Op. 20 No. 2 in C Major
Haydn: String Quartet, Op. 20 No. 3 in G minor
Haydn: String Quartet, Op. 20 No. 4 in D major 'Sun'
Haydn: String Quartet, Op. 20 No. 5 in F minor
Haydn: String Quartet, Op. 20 No. 6 in A Major

·
Registered
9,136 Posts

Elgar and Dvorak from Jacqueline du Pré. Du Pré's Elgar produces such feelings of nostalgia in me.This recording was used as the theme tune for the superb TV adaptation of John Mortimer's Paradise Postponed, which was set in the 1960s, with the original LP cover (the one coupled to Janet Baker's recording of Sea Pictures) even making an appearance in the show. That record has never been out of the catalogue and I remember we had it on permanent order with EMI when I worked at a classical record shop in central London back in the 1980s.

As I already had Baker's Sea Pictures when I came to buy the Elgar on CD, I went for this coupling of the Dvorak, a live performance from 1970 with her husband Daniel Barenboim conducting.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde (February 27, 1970)
Waldemar Kmentt, Janet Baker, Rafael Kubelik, Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra

My favourite recording of a favourite Mahler work. The first time I ever heard the work was at a concert with Dame Janet as soloist. Rudolf Kempe was the conductor on that occasion and the work had a profound effect on me. That recording was made available on disc once, and there was at one time a further live Baker performance available under Leppard (along with the studio Haitink) but this Kubelik one outdoes them all.

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
Jean Sibelius - songs and other non-orchestral works part one of two for this morning and early afternoon.

En visa [A Song] - song for voice and piano WoO [Text: 'Baeckman' ***] (1888):
Serenade - song for voice and piano WoO [Text: Johan Ludvig Runeberg] (1888):
Skogsrået [The Wood Nymph] - song for voice and piano (first setting) [Text: Viktor Rydberg] (1889):
Likhet [Alikeness] - song for voice and piano [Text: Johan Ludvig Runeberg] (1890):
Seven Songs for voice and piano op.13 [Texts: Johan Ludvig Runeberg] (1890-91):
Six Songs on German Texts for voice and piano op.50 [Texts: Arthur Fitger/Emil Weiss/Margarete Susman/Richard Dehmel/Anna Ritter] (1906):
Den judiska flickans sång [The Jewish Girl's Song] from the incidental music for the play Belshazzar's Feast WoO, arr. for voice and piano [Text: Hjalmar Procopé] (orig. 1906 - arr. ????):

(*** nothing known about author of the text - perhaps an unknown friend, or maybe even a pseudonym for Sibelius himself?)

Souda, souda, sinisorsa [Swim, Swim, Duck] - song for voice and piano WoO [Text: August Valdemar Forsman-Koskimies] (1899):
Six Songs for voice and piano op.36 [Texts: Ernst Josephson/Johan Ludvig Runeberg/Gustaf Fröding/Josef Julius Wecksell] (1899-1900):
Five Songs for voice and piano op.37 [Texts: Johan Ludvig Runeberg/Zacharias Topelius/Tor Hedberg/Josef Julius Wecksell] (1900-02):
Seven Songs for voice and piano op.17 [Texts: Johan Ludvig Runeberg/Karl August Tavaststjerna/Oscar Ivar Levertin/August Valdemar Forsman-Koskimies/Ilmari Calamnius a.k.a. Ilmari Kianto] (1891-1904):
Les trois soeurs aveurgles [The Three Blind Sisters] - song from the incidental music for the play Pelléas et Mélisande op.46, arr. for voice and piano [Text: Maurice Maeterlinck] (orig. 1905 - arr. ????):

Sangen om korsspindeln [The Fool's Song of the Spider] - song from the incidental music for the play Kuningas Kristian II op.27, arr. for voice and piano [Text: Adolf Paul] (orig. 1898 - arr. ????):
Five Christmas Songs for voice and piano op.1 [Texts: Zachris Topelius/Vilkku Joukahainen] (1895-1909 - two songs rev. 1913):

Rakastava [The Beloved] - cycle of four songs for unaccompanied male choir op.14 [Text: from the Finnish folk poetry collection Kanteletar] (1894):
Hymnus - song for unaccompanied male choir op.21 [Text: Fridolf Gustafsson] (1896):
Kuutamolla [In The Moonlight] - song for unaccompanied male choir WoO [Text: Aino Suonio] (1898):
Six Songs for unaccompanied male choir op.18 [Texts: Kanteletar/Kalevala/Aleksis Kivi] (1893-1901):
Veljeni vierailla mailla [My Brothers Far Away] - song for unaccompanied male choir WoO [Text: Juhani Aho] (1904):
Isänmaalle [To the Fatherland] - song for unaccompanied mixed choir, arr. for unaccompanied male choir WoO [Text: Paavo Cajander] (orig. 1900 - arr. 1908):

·
Registered
32,431 Posts

Liszt: Freudvoll Und Leidvoll

Jonas Kaufmann (tenor), Helmut Deutsch (piano)

Liszt: Der du von dem Himmel bist (Goethe), S279
Liszt: Der du von dem Himmel bist, S279 (3rd version)
Liszt: Die drei Zigeuner, S.320
Liszt: Die Lorelei
Liszt: Die stille Wasserrose, S321
Liszt: Ein Fichtenbaum steht einsam, S309
Liszt: Es muss ein Wunderbares sein, S. 314
Liszt: Es rauschen die Winde, S294
Liszt: Freudvoll und leidvoll, S.280
Liszt: Ich möchte hingehn, S.296
Liszt: Ihr Glocken von Marling, S.328
Liszt: Sonetti di Petrarca (3) for voice & piano, S270
Liszt: Über allen Gipfeln ist Ruh (Wandrers Nachtlied II), S.306
Liszt: Vergiftet sind meine Lieder, S.289

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
...over the last few weeks Harnoncourt, Mackerras, Jacobs etc performing late Mozart symphonies.

So this morning back to the 'mainstream' with HvK and the BPO performing the 41st.

·
Registered
32,431 Posts

Bach - Michel Dalberto

Bach, J S: Concerto for Four Keyboards in A minor (after Vivaldi), BWV1065
Bach, J S: Concerto for Three Keyboards in C major, BWV1064
Bach, J S: Concerto for Three Keyboards in D minor, BWV1063
Bach, J S: Keyboard Concerto No. 1 in D minor, BWV1052

Michel Dalberto (piano), Anne Queffélec (piano), Jacques Gauthier
(piano), Pascal Devoyon (piano)
Orchestre de Chambre Jean-Francois Paillard
Jean-Francois Paillard