Classical Music Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
18601 - 18620 of 25606 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,620 Posts
Mozart, Symphony No. 40

I wonder what Klemperer was shooting for here. Normally, his recordings are clear, but in the first movement, the tense underlying string accompaniment is barely audible. Usually this movement sounds like someone keeping their tension under the surface, but here it sounds like someone who is just, as Jack Kerouac would describe it, beat. The second movement's andante is played at a walking tempo, but it's a tenuous walk, while the third movement trades lightness for doggedness. The last movement has a jumpy feel, like someone briskly walking in the dark and jumping at every noise.

So either it's a singular interpretation, bringing Mozart into the Romantic era, or else Klemperer was just tired that day.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,620 Posts
Mozart, Symphony No. 40

This is a nice interpretation, but the sound engineers, in trying to make more modern sounding, adding a stereo sound or something, have made it difficult to listen to. In fact, I shouldn't admit it, but I prefer the Membran/Documents issue of this recording, because it hasn't been fiddled with.

Nose Chin Jaw Poster Font

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
After an afternoon proving my legs ain't what they used to be traipsing around Edinburgh with my daughter (much younger legs).
I am going to have a couple of glasses of red for the first time in months and enjoy the lovely sounds of the disc I picked up in a charity shop for the princely sum of £1.

Dvorak, String Quartets Op 51 'Slavonic' & Op 106 - Wihan Quartet.

Edit: I was interested to see while looking for an image that on Amazon UK the cheapest copy available is a new one from a Czech vendor who is asking £25.99 plus £9.49 P&P - that wine will taste all the sweeter :cool:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Is your name "Johnny"by any chance? :rolleyes:
Jhonny.:rolleyes:

Corrigendum: the disc i listened to (William Byrd, Davitt Moroney disc 2) is a combination of harpsichord and virginal. I don't know much about this but the virginal is a deeper and more complex voice. Sometimes good, sometimes not.
i find some of this music to be an intolerable rattle and some to be beautiful and charming. I do not think it is built even for the extended listening, though, of a full lenghth CD. Needs to be properly apportioned to exert its charms.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
The sound quality of that recording leaves much to be desired, unless those Warner incarnations have improved that point.
[Referring to the Sibelius First, Karajan/Berliner Philharmoniker, formerly on EMI]

In my opinion the Warner remaster is superior, but I didn't have anything like a serious problem with how the recording sounded to begin with.

18601 - 18620 of 25606 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.