Classical Music Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
18621 - 18640 of 25606 Posts

·
Premium Member
Liszt, Bruckner, Chopin, Wallace, Bortkiewicz.
2,776 Posts
It is time again for some vacations. (after two years, I went nowhere, because of the pandemie.) It will be short - 10 days - but it is better than nothing. Of course, I will read you but it will be difficult to write texts, upload images etc. with my cell phone. Till the moment I will be back, a very nice neo - classical CD with Eugene and his notorious Philadelphia Orchestra playing Bartok and Hindemith.

Forehead Chin Facial expression Coat Font

(I will certainly come back with some collectibles or rarities. I hope to have some worthy for presentations / suggestions.)

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
J. S. Bach: Cantatas for the Fourteenth Sunday after Trinity
Es ist nichts Gesundes an meinem Leibe, BWV 25
Jesu, der du meine Seele, BWV 78
Wer Dank opfert, der preiset mich, BWV 17
Malin Hartelius, Robin Tyson, James Gilchrist, Peter Harvey
The Monteverdi Choir, the English Baroque Soloists, John Eliot Gardiner

I missed these last Sunday. I'm not religious at all, so no big deal, but I normally listen to Bach's cantatas on the appropriate day as a means to pace myself through my second round of listening to all of them.

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
NP:

K. A. Hartmann
Symphony No. 6
Bavarian RSO
Kubelik

For me, this is still the set to beat. There's a spirit in the performances that can't be matched. The Metzmacher on EMI always seemed to be interpretatively uninteresting. Like he's getting the orchestra to play the notes, but that's it. There's no thrust or inner life in his performances. They're all faceless. I haven't done enough listening of the newer Challenge Classics set to make a direct comparison with the Wergo, but I should revisit that set.
I think Metzmacher conducts one or two symphonies on the Challenge set. I bought it a few years ago but I need to revisit as well.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Mozart, Symphony No. 40

Well done, especially for a period-instrument ensemble. Pinnock doesn't sacrifice nuance for "authenticity."

View attachment 159373
I love that set.

Your "doesn't sacrifice nuance for authenticity" is most apt ............

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
Is this Simon Rattle's finest recording (to date)?
I am of the opinion that this is an exceptionally fine Rheingold and the one I find myself reaching for first these days. Karajan and Barenboim plus Haitink aren't too far behind for me - I'm not really into all the live Bayreuth recordings from the fifities although I do enjoy Krauss on Orfeo.

Wagner, Das Rheingold - Michael Volle (Wotan), Tomasz Konieczny (Alberich), Burkhard Ulrich (Loge), Elisabeth Kulman (Fricka), Herwig Pecoraro (Mime), Peter Rose (Fasolt), Eric Halfvarson (Fafner), Annette Dasch (Freia), Janina Baechle (Erda), Christian van Horn (Donner), Benjamin Bruns (Froh), Mirella Hagen (Woglinde), Stefanie Irányi (Wellgunde), Eva Vogel (Flosshilde), Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Simon Rattle.

18621 - 18640 of 25606 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.