Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are your impressions? I think it's a great platform for presentation and discussion of classical music. However, a lot of it seems self-serving as Hurwitz promotes himself and his personal biases and heavily polices the comments, which is a shame because there are a lot of knowledgeable people out there with a lot to add.

This is a pretty fun topic:

Off my head, my list would include:

1. Mahler, Symphony No. 7 (my personal favorite, though I know it is controversial)
2. Beethoven, Eroica (1959 stereo EMI)
3. R. Strauss, Metamorphosen (EMI)
4. Bach, Mass in B minor (EMI)
5. Mozart, Symphony No. 40 (1956 EMI)
6. Beethoven, Pastoral (studio EMI)
7. Mahler, Symphony No. 2 (live 1965 EMI)
8. Beethoven, Fidelio (EMI studio)
9. Brahms, Symphony No. 2 (studio EMI)
10. Beethoven, Symphony No. 9 (1961 live Testament, slightly over 1957 live Testament)

Four more:

Bruckner, Symphony No. 6 (studio EMI)
Mahler, Symphony No. 9 (studio EMI)
Mahler, Das Lied von der Erde (studio EMI)
Bruckner, Symphony No. 4 (live Munich EMI)

Celebrated recordings that don't crack my list:

Bach, St Matthew Passion (not enough drama and momentum)
Brahms, Ein Deutsches Requiem (not flexible enough)
Mozart, Die Zauberflote (great singing, but a little heavy for this work)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Anything that could have been said was said,and said repeatedly,in the first thread. I see the first thread was closed at the request of the OP. Some people just can’t stop.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Anything that could have been said was said,and said repeatedly,in the first thread. I see the first thread was closed at the request of the OP. Some people just can't stop.
Speak for yourself, winkle.

I've more to say, if it's all the same with you .........

Reactions: Bernamej

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I will add this: Hurwitz spends too much time on YouTube and not on the subscription based Classics Today. CT is updated maybe once a week. He has added Insider Only videos, yet there's no way to comment on them. Talk Classical is an extremely valuable resource. CT I'm not so sure anymore. His videos are too long anyway. Brevity is the soul of wit.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
I will add this: Hurwitz spends too much time on YouTube and not on the subscription based Classics Today. CT is updated maybe once a week. He has added Insider Only videos, yet there's no way to comment on them. Talk Classical is an extremely valuable resource. CT I'm not so sure anymore. His videos are too long anyway. Brevity is the soul of wit.
Not sure I agree.

Broadcasters should operate without a pay-wall, in my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
I join FrankinUSA in refusing to post to this thread. I will suffer no entreaties to the contrary. I refuse.
Do you realise there is no compulsion for any of us to post on threads?

In fact we don't even have to look at a thread, never mind post.

Or even log-in to the forum!

it's all voluntary :lol:

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Administrator
12,022 Posts
There is no requirement that people not reopen discussion from closed threads (unless the thread topic is considered a violation of our Terms of Service such as pure politics). People who wish to continue discussing the issue certainly can. Those who do not wish to continue or do not wish to even look at more posts can do so by not opening the thread. At any rate, please do not chide those who wish to post in this thread.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
There is a cottage industry of people on YouTube who loudly proclaim their opinions and biases, try to pass them off as objective fact, and berate those who do not share them. They cultivate parasocial relationships with viewers by employing in-jokes, jargon, and putdowns.

Hurwitz occupies that spot on YouTube for classical music. I treat his videos with the same skepticism that I do certain tech reviewers, pop culture critics with a heavy MRA/Jordan Peterson bent, and the like. They can be entertaining in small doses, but do not substitute in any way for actual learning or in depth criticism.

An example that sticks out in my memory is saying that Lizst is worthless as a composer. What an asinine and irresponsible thing for someone with such a large platform to say to an uninformed audience. I don't even like Lizst that much (he's fine, but he's far from being in my regular rotation), but it's not what I consider helpful critical content to try and steer people away from someone they might otherwise enjoy.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
There is no requirement that people not reopen discussion from closed threads (unless the thread topic is considered a violation of our Terms of Service such as pure politics). People who wish to continue discussing the issue certainly can. Those who do not wish to continue or do not wish to even look at more posts can do so by not opening the thread. At any rate, please do not chide those who wish to post in this thread.
Ok. Can you please add the posts from the previous thread to this one?

I think I made about 3 posts that I think were quite valuable, informative and positive (my view, of course - happy to be challenged). And I know of who others posted of at least equal value.

Can you please do this so that we can have a reasoned exchange of ideas about music, commentary, and a general discussion about what we all love?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok. Can you please add the posts from the previous thread to this one?

I think I made about 3 posts that I think were quite valuable, informative and positive (my view, of course - happy to be challenged). And I know of who others posted of at least equal value.

Can you please do this so that we can have a reasoned exchange of ideas about music, commentary, and a general discussion about what we all love?
You can always copy and paste. I linked the other thread on the previous page.

1 - 20 of 373 Posts