Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Same with me, I never take him seriously when he bashes something, but when he loves something I check it out and sometimes that has lead to me discovering a great or even reference recording

·
Registered
481 Posts
What I find unique about Hurwitz in an American context is that he will say:

“Oh, Florent Schmitt was a terrible anti-Semite and Nazi sympathiser… but I love his music, so he‘s one of Dave’s fave’s!”

In other words, the sublime trumps all else.
About a year ago I read an interview on presto music with Alfred Brendel, and he also said you should separate the artist from the art. He said that he wish people knew as little about composers personal lives as we know about Shakespeare. Hurwitz is not the only one who thinks like this

·
Registered
481 Posts
I don’t know why anyone would listen to this guy’s YouTube channel. He’s not good looking and talks in a whiney annoying voice and never appears (to my knowledge) to back up his opinions with musical examples. Absolutely hopeless. You might just as well save the trouble and read a review rather than listening to him blather on.
If he can he actually he does give musical examples and small samples. Its just that a lot of times he can’t because of copyright strikes but luckily that wasn’t the case with Paul Kletzki’s Beethoven cycle, which he used for almost every ‘best recordings of’ series of the individual Beethoven symphonies. I’m 100% sure he used it in his talk about the 8th because Kletzki was actually his favourite and said why, gave arguments and then let us hear it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
He is biased towards American orchestras and orchestral music in general, but to the extent he recommends several well-known recordings his videos can be informative. Unfortunately due to his ego he deletes many of the comments, which could provide additional sources of information for the beginner. So he not only presents a biased perspective but he also seeks to eliminate alternative viewpoints. That’s his worst trait. He pretends to speak for all of classical music when in reality he does not. He wants his truth to be seen as THE truth.
I could see how he is biased towards American orchestras but i don't see how he is biased towards orchestral music. He doesn't have a responsability to talk about every genre of music, if he mainly prefers orchestral music than good for him. Don't really understand what you are trying to say with 'biased towards orchestral music'

·
Registered
481 Posts
So "Dave's faves" are his personal favourites, but the recordings he recommends are mostly the same as in earlier videos that represent his "professional" opinion. Would it be fair to say that the two are intertwined to some degree? I.e. his personal taste coincides with the recordings that are the best by some kind of objective measure?
they largely coincide but i think some recordings you would recommend to others because they are good reference and some might be your favourites but you can see how it wouldn't be a good first recording or something like that. Or maybe he has recommended so many recordings that he wants to share his best of the best. I also don't really see the point

·
Registered
481 Posts
Where are we disagreeing? I said he is biased towards orchestral music, and you said he prefers orchestral music. We are saying the same thing.

I do think that being well-rounded is an important trait for a classical music reviewer, particularly one who passes himself off as an authority the way Hurwitz does. He is not just a casual listener. He is someone speaking very loudly with his opinions on all things classical and wielding quite a bit of influence.
Sorry English isn't my main language, i thought biased was preferred but in a bad way. Like you shouldn't be biased in that particular situation. But i think he has covered the majority of standard repertoire of opera, chamber music and so on.

·
Registered
481 Posts
He’s soulless. He considers people who value heart and spirit of the music to be akin to cult members. He states that he only deals in “musical facts.”

I was reading a Penguin Guide review of the Lindsay Beethoven Quartets yesterday:

“The sense of spontaneity brings the obverse quality: these performances are not as precise as those in the finest rival sets; but there are few Beethoven quartet recordings that so convincingly bring out the humanity of the writing, its power to communicate.”

This is the whole way of thinking that Hurwitz runs counter to (He rails against the British press). I completely disagree with Hurwitz’s musical philosophy and in particular his diatribes against people who recognize that there is more to music than just the nuts and bolts.
You know that just because he doesn’t think every Furtwangler performance is god tier doesn’t mean that he is ‘soulless’? And he has stated multiple times that Bruno Walter brings a lot of humanity to his recordings, he stated again so in his recent Dave’s faves about Bruno Walter’s Brahms 3rd symphony. So I don’t think he considers himself a part of a cult

·
Registered
481 Posts
I was once present at a concert where Mahler 6 was played, a slightly raw-edged but dedicated performance by a youth orchestra, surprisingly well played. I applauded till my hands started to hurt.
And then... as an encore they played some bland pop song that was on the charts back then. The percussionist even abused the "hammer" to give it some extra effect.
So I walked out, disgusted and feeling miserable. How can one be able to perform a compelling version of one of the deepest, most serious and intense works in the symphonic repertoire - then within a minute switch a button and become a brainless party animal? Even disgracing your performance by mocking it?
So yeah, I was the only one in the audience who stormed out. Everyone loved it, and I was told afterwards by my company to not take it so serious. Lighten up, dude. They're young, let 'em have fun.
I guess this is the true Hurwitz spirit. Everything is entertainment. There is no deep or shallow, there's only fun and no-fun. Your one-day wonder pop song is worth to stand aside Mahler 6. Let's spice up Beethoven's 9th with rappers!
Postmodern shallowness and lack of taste and intelligence - it sickens me.
My only reaction to this is lighten up dude! They’re young

·
Registered
481 Posts
Why would he pretend to like Brahms? Usually if he dislikes something he just says it. Brahms can be hard to get into, personally I have no problems with Brahms except his piano concerti, I find it hard to get into those for some reason. I haven’t listened to them much tho

1 - 12 of 12 Posts