Classical Music Forum banner
361 - 373 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Why would he pretend to like Brahms? Usually if he dislikes something he just says it. Brahms can be hard to get into, personally I have no problems with Brahms except his piano concerti, I find it hard to get into those for some reason. I haven’t listened to them much tho

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Is it a sin to not like Brahms on initial listen, or to find him "intimidating"?

It's one hell of a leap to go from that to "David Hurwitz is pretending to like Brahms" which is a hell of an accusation, especially given he's been very blatant at expressing when he doesn't like something, including popular works.
I wanted to get in on the "bash Hurwitz" bandwagon, so I shared a suspicion I thought was unlikely but possible. My contribution probably isn't the worst slander against Hurwitz on this thread. For example, the claim that Hurwitz "doesn't know what makes CM great" or that maybe he edits Wikipedia pages so they cite his comments on CM.

I think Hurwitz does love (or at least like) the Brahms symphonies. I also think there's a chance he struggled with them for a while before liking them. Maybe if I read the book, I would know, but I'm not the intended audience.

I think Hurwitz's popularizing works better with pieces that could be more popular but aren't (example: Dvorak's Double Bass Quintet, discussed in Hurwitz's book on Dvorak).

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Why would he pretend to like Brahms? Usually if he dislikes something he just says it. Brahms can be hard to get into, personally I have no problems with Brahms except his piano concerti, I find it hard to get into those for some reason. I haven’t listened to them much tho
This is the "bash Hurwitz thread." So to join in, I was really uncharitable towards Hurwitz. I am also incredulpus that anyone could not like Brahms' Third Symphony and regard it as "medicine"

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Hurwitz has admitted to not liking Bach very much, despite listening to him a lot for his musical critic job. This makes my speculation that Hurwitz is only pretending to like the Brahms symphonies...ridiculous. Dave is actually quite honest about his tastes.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I’ve read some of this opinionated guy’s reviews and they are completely unconsidered and often just reveal that he is taking out the back of his head. I wouldn’t say he’s worth wasting time on

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I don't think he is pretending. Nevertheless he is often strawmanning and exaggerating. E.g. hating on the musicologists unduly obsessed with different versions of Bruckner symphonies. Of course this can sometimes be a choice to have a chance as a career musicologist (one should note that there are very few decent jobs in this field, so people need any help they can get) but it's obviously also a real problem, not a totally made up one, even if occasionally overemphasized by people working in that field.
He also hates several early 20th century late romantics (like Pfitzner) with a vengeance despite harping for similar and more obscure music from the same time.
And I'd see the strawman that Brahms' music is often viewed as "boring but good for you" as a similar exaggeration to sharpen profile and have an easy to rebut strawman.

·
Banned
Bernd Alois Zimmermann
595 Posts
According to Dave, Fauve’s trashy mess, the Te Deum, is better than his undoubted masterpiece, the Requiem… o_O

His justification: it’s just more fun and shorter in length…:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
According to Dave, Fauve’s trashy mess, the Te Deum, is better than his undoubted masterpiece, the Requiem… o_O
His justification: it’s just more fun and shorter in length…:ROFLMAO:
Girls and Hurwitzes just wanna have fun!
I guess you meant berlioz? And you're right, I never really cared for the Te Deum. The Requiem on the other hand, is one of the greatest ever. I love how it's devoid of any consolation, or positive message in general. You're going to die, and big chance you'll end in hell, subjected to eternal torture, according to jolly uncle Hector.

·
Banned
Bernd Alois Zimmermann
595 Posts
Girls and Hurwitzes just wanna have fun!
I guess you meant berlioz? And you're right, I never really cared for the Te Deum. The Requiem on the other hand, is one of the greatest ever. I love how it's devoid of any consolation, or positive message in general. You're going to die, and big chance you'll end in hell, subjected to eternal torture, according to jolly uncle Hector.
Berlioz! Multitasking on too many threads this morning!

361 - 373 of 373 Posts