Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Bach, Brahms, Schubert, Sibelius, Mahler, Messiaen
3,473 Posts
^Yup. I really don’t like this quartet at all despite absolutely adoring Schubert (who, if not for the existence of Bach and Brahms, would likely be my favorite composer). I find it somewhat contrived and don’t think it belongs in the same realm as towering masterpieces of profundity like Winterreise, Die Schone Mullerin, and the late sonatas. I like the 15th and the string quintet much better, though I don’t think either of those works are as great as the Trout quintet and piano trios.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I love it and feel those who find it disappointing may be looking for the wrong things in it. They seem to want something more profound?
Do you see it as a heartwrenching investigation of the psychology of death or just a fun piece? I've always got the impression that I should be hearing it as the former and come out disappointed because it seems kind of cheesy that way.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I've been thinking about it all day. Yeah, it's a loaded nickname; pretend it doesn't exist and try again-remember, Schubert himself never called it that. It's not a bad piece by any means; I really enjoyed it today. And try the Pavel Haas Quartet recording!
Supraphon usually doesn't make it on streaming services, but I'll try and search it out. Maybe I just need to give the classic Busch the attention it deserves, their interpretations usually strike a chord with me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.