Classical Music Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
221 - 236 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
Sibelius, Beethoven, Satie, Debussy
1,690 Posts
If anyone is the symbol of decolonization it's the late Nelson Mandela whose favorite music was classical, Handel, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky. So how do we process that?

"Music is a great blessing. It has the power to elevate and liberate us. It sets people free to dream."-Nelson Mandela
Mandela is just as entitled to his opinions about music as the rest of us. Just because he was (and still is) a revered figure, doesn't mean his opinions are in some way more valid than anyone else's: he is entitled to be wrong too. 😉

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
It seems a lot of people offering their opinions are not doing much critical thinking and falling into the knee-jerk reaction that certain media pushers want. It is one course, not the whole degree, that addresses the political and social context of music. That is a perfectly acceptable aspect of critical thinking on the relationship of music and art in its cultural context. It is NOT a sign of indoctrination!
Your quote on "warnings of ‘potentially disturbing’ musical content" I think you have got back to front. It is not warning that Mozart's music is disturbing, but the study of Mozart's music in a wider cultural context could be disturbing. Indeed, the use of cymbals, a symbol of the Turks, in Die Enfuhrung aus dem Serail, points towards the attitudes and relationship between Europe and the Ottoman Empire.
think a visit to Ukraine might be disturbing but not the study of history

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
It's not really delusional. My experience is that generally holds true for young children unless influenced otherwise. The Puritans among us today are those who demand that everyone of every age group consume, digest and give assent to every bit of their dogma.
Are you a researcher in developmental psychology? Or what sort of experience do you refer to that informs you that young children are totally asexual "unless influenced otherwise"?

·
Registered
35 Posts
^ About as much as or more than half of your posts. The point is that this thread was generated by a dog whistle article aimed at the right wing credulous and misrepresenting the facts. It led to many coming out and condemning a university for offering a music course that they didn't even understand. This sort of thing happens through telling people that Mozart is going to be cancelled just as much as it can by telling people that a saint - albeit one who would change the way his country was governed - is a violent criminal.
Sorry to break it to you but Nelson Mandela is now persona non grata among the very most progressive on the left. It's a truly dismal doctrine.

·
Read Only
2,024 Posts
Are you a researcher in developmental psychology? Or what sort of experience do you refer to that informs you that young children are totally asexual "unless influenced otherwise"?
Are you? Is developmental psychology immune to political influences? Is it objective truth? Do you have children?

·
Read Only
2,024 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I'd like to ask which "doctrine" but we'd better steer back towards Mozart before politics takes over entirely.
I did not intend for this to so go far off track, but the point I had relating this to the original story is that while the popular narrative are about crazy lefties going nuts and "Canceling Mozart" or what have you, a very specific and current trend of the use of state power to ban, restrict, or otherwise gag education is ongoing and is either a) ignored, or b) justified on the grounds that it's to prevent "indoctrination". These things have happened in history before (especially the bit about "indoctrination") and historically do not indicate a healthy culture.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd like to ask which "doctrine" but we'd better steer back towards Mozart before politics takes over entirely.
I can answer that question easily, if you want, but I think you already know what I'm referring to.
I did not intend for this to so go far off track, but the point I had relating this to the original story is that while the popular narrative are about crazy lefties going nuts and "Canceling Mozart" or what have you, a very specific and current trend of the use of state power to ban, restrict, or otherwise gag education is ongoing and is either a) ignored, or b) justified on the grounds that it's to prevent "indoctrination". These things have happened in history before (especially the bit about "indoctrination") and historically do not indicate a healthy culture.
Yep, as I said, it's a dismal doctrine: nihilism. I believe in love!

·
Read Only
2,024 Posts
... a very specific and current trend of the use of state power to ban, restrict, or otherwise gag education is ongoing and is either a) ignored, or b) justified on the grounds that it's to prevent "indoctrination". These things have happened in history before (especially the bit about "indoctrination") and historically do not indicate a healthy culture.
That's been the rationale behind banning religious content in public schools for decades now. There have been various sorts of ways that public educators have been under "ban, restrictions or otherwise gagged". It's never been an absolutely free-flowing thing.

221 - 236 of 236 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.