Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
I want to ask you about only one DVD avaiable in "my" shop with Der Freischutz which I'm about to buy. Is it famous and regarded recording which you can recognize?

Here goes the info:

Chor der Hamburgischen Staatsoper i orkiestra Philharmonisches Staatsorchester Hamburg directed by Leopold Ludwig

Maks: Ernst Kozub, tenor
Kacper: Gott lob Frick, bas
Kilian: Franz Grundheber, baryton
Kuno: Toni Blankenheim, bas
Agata: Arlene Saunders, sopran
Anusia: Edith Mathis, sopran
Otokar: Tom Krause, baryton

1968, Hamburg.
I have been watching this one. Am about 1 hr and 20 minutes in and like it a lot. Not so keen on the Wolf Glenn scene (and that is in general, not this DVD), but the rest is wonderful and the singing is great! Best part is that it has a happy ending.

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
So what is going on about Der Freischutz? It's been a year and quite quite here. I still have my one set, Harnoncourt. I wanted the Kubelik set for Behrens, but it was too expensive and I found a cheap highlights set of it instead, but really should have gotten the whole set.

Reactions: Pugg

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I have the Kleiber but I can't stand all the spoken dialog so I imported it into the audacity software and edited it all out. Hey if Klemperer can do it to Magic Flute, then... :)

As to the spruces et.al.:

·
Registered
38,640 Posts

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
This one sounds very good, and I do like the spoken dialog too.
I am still fascinated by the above recording, which I think maybe misdated at 1952 because, given the conductor and cast, this Der Freischutz discography only lists it for 1949. If that is the case then there are a couple other releases available, particularly this one:

However, I discovered a site where you can stream the opera online. This site also gives 1949 for the same conductor and cast.
http://www.operatoday.com/content/2006/02/weber_der_freis_1.php

However, the sound clips for the above "1951" Profil recording sound a LOT better than these streamed clips, so maybe there is a difference, or maybe the streamed one is from a different release and Profil set has been remastered. At any rate, I could not stand it any longer and so have ordered the Profil set, which I happily await:

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
I am trying to figure out if these are actually two separate recordings or if somewhere along the line the 1949 recording was mislabelled as 1951. Both have same conductor, same concert hall, same cast. (Click on images to blow them up to readable size.)

Font Circle Recipe Ingredient
Product Font Red Material property Magenta

Wikipedia's listing for this opera does not even have Kempe in the discography.

This discography includes the 1949 performance, but not the 1951.

And this discography has the 1951 performance, but not the 1949.

When I put "Erster Aufzug Hier im ird'schen Jammertal (Kaspar)" up on Audacity from the 1951 set and compared it to the 1949 (from the streaming link I posted earlier), they looked and sounded similar but for differences in that the 1951 set must have been remastered (it does say mastered from the original tapes).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I remember going to see this at 1982 at Covent Garden and haven’t listened to it since. Well, not until last week when I purchased the LSO version conducted by Colin Davies. I assume it is a concert version but it very refreshing hearing it played by a great orchestra with a concert chorus. I’m really enjoying getting back into this music. Has anyone else heard this version and if so what are your impressions?

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
I remember going to see this at 1982 at Covent Garden and haven't listened to it since. Well, not until last week when I purchased the LSO version conducted by Colin Davies. I assume it is a concert version but it very refreshing hearing it played by a great orchestra with a concert chorus. I'm really enjoying getting back into this music. Has anyone else heard this version and if so what are your impressions?
A very discerning member of TC, Pugg, likes the Colin Davis set very much: See post here.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Yes, and this opera has risen to be among my favorites. I listened to it all weekend--3 different recordings.
Fritz, what was it about the Wolf's Glen scene that you found objectionable?

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Fritz, what was it about the Wolf's Glen scene that you found objectionable?
Not sure how to put it into words but I generally avoid horror films and such, particularly those about devils and demons. However, the Wolf Glen scene is essential to Der Freischutz and is not the main focus of the opera, but rather a necessary side issue that makes the story happen.

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Hey, I just read in a Der Freischutz CD booklet that the white flowers the hermit gave Agathe are what protected her from the Devil's bullet killing her. Previously, I had thought that Samiel had simply double crossed Caspar. but perhaps it was a little of both.

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Highly thought of by Wagner as well. It's generally regarded as a very major influence on The Flying Dutchman; the two have a lot in common. In grad school I took a Wagner course in which a great deal of time was spent on this influence.
I wonder if Wagner explored the root story behind Freischutz:

A good read is The Fatal Marksman by Johann August Apel. This story is quite interesting and is the basis for Der Freischutz.
This root story, where it happens at the roadside instead of Wolf Glenn, also is the basis of one of the most celebrated blues tunes ever,
, and the legend that Robert Johnson made a deal with the Devil at the crossroads and came back to town a phenomenal guitar player.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.