41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

·
Registered
Bach, Brahms, Schubert, Sibelius, Mahler, Messiaen
3,496 Posts
Just want to say that this opera is absolutely glorious, one of my top 10 for sure. The blend of naive folksiness and dark, opulent Romanticism is absolutely contagious. One of the best overtures in opera, great orchestration, complex and likable characters, an engaging fantasical plot, and some truly ravishing arias. It reminds me somewhat of a Grimm or Andersen fairy tale. I've only heard the Keilberth, but I have no inclination to hear the generally-recommended Kleiber since Janowitz and Schreier normally don't float my boat. I definitely prefer it to Fidelio and Magic Flute among pre-Wagner German operas.

Reactions: SixFootScowl

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Schreier is not ideal; I am not even too fond of Adam's Kaspar. The stars of the Kleiber are Janowitz and Kleiber and maybe the Staatskapelle.
I don't prefer it vs. Flute and Fidelio. Freischütz is indebted to both, I believe. The great ensembles at the ends of the first act of Fidelio (with the prisoners returning to their dungeons) and Freischütz (O diese Sonne) seem similar and Florestan's dungeon scene has often been mentioned as having a similarly dark romantic tone (although it is of course rather different from the Wolf's glen).

But Freischütz is certainly a huge step towards both Romanticism and a specifically German opera. I think it does not travel so well and is far more popular in German speaking countries.

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
Now this is a unique production, and pretty fun one too. I would do away with a couple bits in the Wolf Glen scene (including the self-manipulating rabbit) but otherwise quite a nice production. However, they threw in this bit right before Max notices the wound from the falling portrait, Agathe says this to him (after he lunged toward her suddenly). I do not see that statement in my other two Freischutz DVDs. Is this weird? Was the subtitle guy just having some fun? I don't know German so cannot tell.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Now this is a unique production, and pretty fun one too. I would do away with a couple bits in the Wolf Glen scene (including the self-manipulating rabbit) but otherwise quite a nice production. However, they threw in this bit right before Max notices the wound from the falling portrait, Agathe says this to him (after he lunged toward her suddenly). I do not see that statement in my other two Freischutz DVDs. Is this weird? Was the subtitle guy just having some fun? I don't know German so cannot tell.
I suspect the subtitle guy was having a little joke?:lol:

Reactions: SixFootScowl
41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.