Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,532 Posts
As a former percussion teacher, let me tell you that you would be surprised.

Playing the drums is relaxing. Relaxing is, to a certain extent, good for you. Of course there are associated health risks:

Yes, it could lead you to decide to change careers to Physics!

Reactions: ahammel

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
If you're playing bongos, you're going to need considerable healing powers to recover from the beating you'll experience from your neighbours.
someone playing bongos nearby would certainly encourage me to get off the sofa and do some exercise :D

I had too much, far too much, of drum solos when I was a kid listening to Prog Rock!

G

·
Drums was my first instrument and I played only drums for many years. I still do but have branched out since then. But one thing I notice is that I never had stage fright as a drummer. I always felt completely in control of my craft and knew what I was doing. I was happy to go up onstage and play. As a guitarist, bassist, fiddler, etc. I get stage fright all over the place. And even after many years of playing these instruments onstage, I still get stage fright. It has never lessened one iota.

·
Registered
813 Posts
There is a documentary about the work from the recently deceased Oliver Sacks where a guy treats patients with LaTourette syndrome. This man has the affliction himself and found that drumming and percussion made it more easy to cope with the condition.
So maybe not actual healing, but the drums and percussion sure have its use here.
I'll see if I can find the documentary on Youtube.

·
Registered
15,450 Posts
I've come to believe there is healing power in playing drums, more so than other instruments I've played - guitars and piano. Perhaps because drums are more primitive musical instrument?
No. It's because you're getting more exercise playing bongos or drums verses guitar or piano.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been a meditator following the Indian tradition of Kriya. Certain kinds of drums are a central part of our meditations and very easily transport even the unitiated into deep states of trance.

The mystical effects of the drums are a treasure lost out to the modern world

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.