Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
For me Classical music is MUSIC not singing or song, which I had in my pop days. I want pure music without words or the human voice.
Music is psychological to me in affect, without words to help or guide me. But still the music makes sense ie tonal music.
I have some vocal music, but only from favourite composers, and very little opera.
Pure music has a very powerful affect on me, very different from the great writers and poets I grew up with ie Literature.
I think wordy people like myself may be more moved by pure music than those who are musical themselves and take it for granted.
As for opera itself, it is only music theatre ,and I am not a fan of theatre. I prefer documentaries to fictionalised drama, which is often very improbable or one-sided.
Music for me is just that-MUSIC!
If you want song, choral or opera that is a different world.
The best music I have found is Classical Music, and I speak as an outsider!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I've just been listening to Britten's The Turn of The Screw on CD.
What a wonderful and fascinating work that is! And this from someone who doesn't like opera!
The instrumentation is unique and you can hear all the voices clearly, although it helps that they sing in English.It is virtually a chamber opera with only 6 characters and small orchestra.
The version is on Naxos label and features Philip Langridge and Felicity Lott with Stuart Bedford.
Strongly recommended to those who haven't heard it or think they don't like opera! This is exceptional!A masterpiece!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
For me Classical Music is instrumental not vocal, which is song,choral or opera.I have some of these in my CD collection but only by favourite instrumental composers.I think Beethoven's 9th Symphony is ruined by the choral 4th movement! [I expect a lot of criticism here!-good! }

1 - 3 of 3 Posts