Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
Bernd Alois Zimmermann
595 Posts
I enjoy very little opera, as it’s all about the music for me, but have seen numerous productions of the following:

1. Parsifal
2. Meistersingers
3. Gotterdammerung
4. Tristan
5. Wozzeck

What brings me back to the above is that the ROH generally put on a production of them all every 3-5 years, and the narrative storylines are so strong, which makes the acting, however wooden, at least bearable.

I do love listening to Boulez’ definitive version of Berg’s Lulu, as my moniker would already have indicated, and Lintu’s recent recording of Zimmermann’s Die Soldaten.

·
Banned
Bernd Alois Zimmermann
595 Posts
Actually, it would help me a lot if I understood the languages (Italian, German, French, etc), perhaps I could find a way for opera to reach me. English opera is good, Gilbert & Sullivan is pleasing to my ear. It's in my English frame of reference. I am not a good judge of operatic emotion, and that is acquired over time.

Simply said, I guess it's all Greek to me! <smiles>
Completely disagree. If you can understand the words then it detracts from the performance for me and turns the human voice from an instrument into a source of ridicule.

I remember many moons ago, my first and only time attending the ENO to hear Wagner. It took me until the middle of A1S1 of Parsifal to realise they were singing in English (oddly enough, they still used surtitles). I could not take the performance seriously after that, and left after the interval. It was like watching a Monty Python sketch…

1 - 2 of 2 Posts