Classical Music Forum banner

Do you consider John Cage a great composer?

• No.

Votes: 101 78.9%
  • Yes.

Votes: 27 21.1%
1 - 20 of 432 Posts

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
We can't really say he's objectively a bad composer if there are people who appreciate his music, (regardless how many there are). "Classical music" is only regularly appreciated by about less than 1% of the total population. That doesn't make it bad music. The same logic applies to "avant-garde music".
But I still doubt how much of his musical philosophy overlaps with that of "classical music". I don't think general "avant-garde music" is "classical music". But, I would not say it's objectively worse than "classical music" in terms of artistic value. I know there are people who are into "modern art philosophy" stuff, I respect their preference.

'If you listen to Mozart and Beethoven, it's always the same,' he claimed. 'But if you listen to the traffic here on Sixth Avenue, it's always different.' https://www.gramophone.co.uk/features/article/john-cage-manhattan-music

There are tons of genres out there that claim to be true descendants of "classical music". I just don't think it's fair to exclude them, yet include stuff like Cage within the boundaries of "classical music".

"Yuhki Kuramoto is a Japanese pianist and composer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuhki_Kuramoto
At school, he studied Rachmaninoff and performed as a part-time soloist in orchestras.
Kuramoto's style of music shows influence from a variety of composers from different periods. Most notably, by Rachmaninoff, Chopin and Ravel.
https://www.famousbirthdays.com/people/yuhki-kuramoto.html
He was considered an heir to Rachmaninoff and Chopin."

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
When I consider him at all, I mostly consider him a mere gadfly, or a bull who enjoyed pushing china off of shelves. I hardly deem that a creative act, at least in any constructive sense. (Apparently we are forbidden from considering him a charlatan or a fraud, due to some assumption of sincerity.)

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
When I consider him at all, I mostly consider him a mere gadfly, or a bull who enjoyed pushing china off of shelves. I hardly deem that a creative act, at least in any constructive sense. (Apparently we are forbidden from considering him a charlatan or a fraud, due to some assumption of sincerity.)
I don't know why you think that. If you think he's a charlatan say it.

I listen to his music and respect what he accomplished. Whether he is considered a composer, writer, or philosopher - it doesn't change my enjoyment and interest in his work. Nor do I suspect it will alter his historical importance - for good or bad depending upon your orientation.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
You’re better off with Nicholas Cage;)

Reactions: adriesba and Flamme

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
There are some Cage pieces that fairly listenable; pieces for prepared piano; the String Quartet to name some. Much else by Cage seems better discussed than enjoyed which is point behind conceptual art. I was once taking a summer class at a local college and during the same week, the college was hosting mycological convention where mushroom enthusiasts from all over the area were holding meetings. I got to talking to some of them and when I mentioned John Cage they all knew who he was and revered and admired him for all he did to promote mycological/mushroom enthusiasm.

1 - 20 of 432 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.