Classical Music Forum banner

Do you consider the laptop to be a musical instrument?

• Yes

Votes: 73 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 106 59.2%
301 - 320 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
The notion that a laptop is a musical instrument is silly. This generation is so obsessed with being edgy they'll try to turn anything into a "musical instrument".

·
Registered
11,532 Posts
Composing for a pianola is like composing for an ipod.
...had he composed it on a pianola. Sure. No problem...bit lazy though. Not sure how much credit Igor should deserve.
Composed at and played at an acoustic piano, 'inputted' if you will by the same means.
Leon Nancarrow hand-punched the actual piano rolls, much like drawing on a midi graph to have it set for playback (which is basically an electronic analog of the old player piano roll, which ran on vacuum pump.)

If you know what it is like to 'draw in' a complex work on a midi graph, you would not call any of these processes "lazy." :)

Reactions: Mahlerian

·
Registered
11,532 Posts
A recent post in my blog's unusual concertos series:

Concerto for iPad and orchestra by Ned McGowan.
If you consider a synthesizer an 'instrument' as we all do the first synthesizer, the organ, then maybe yes, the computer / iPod is 'an instrument.' I guess the semantic argument would be a little bit about whether the medium is the message, or merely the messenger boy.

Reactions: samurai

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would say it is a music player rather than a musical instrument. You can label almost anything percussion if you can hit it and it makes a sound (though a laptop would more likely be junk percussion), but i wouldn't even label this under junk percussion. I see a musical instrument as something you can blow, strum, strike or scrape and a laptop is none of these things. So music player rather than instrument is what i'm going for

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
In answer to the original question I would say no, as musical instruments don't tend to fizzle out after about five years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I worked with a small group of people in Brussels who were composing and recording music for (mostly) piano and electronics. They put it as "using a computer as a musical instrument".

Do I consider the laptop a musical instrument? - I'm not too sure
Is it possible to use a laptop/computer as a musical instrument? - Yes

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I thought it would be interesting to bump this thread dated from start in 2009.

301 - 320 of 353 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.