Classical Music Forum banner

Do you consider the laptop to be a musical instrument?

• Yes

Votes: 73 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 106 59.2%
341 - 353 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Is the laptop a musical instrument?
Certainly.

Haven't you ever gotten frustrated at your laptop while punching out your latest term paper? And so you slam down the lid and start drumming on the laptop cover, say performing the solo from "In a Gadda da Vida"? Heck … that's as musical as it gets.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
One might consider software such as LogicPro, Cubase or Sibelius a kind of instrument, especially when one considers the creative potential of in-built and 3rd party synths with their programming and sonic potential, sequenced within DAW's.

The joy of learning a real instrument and all the benefits, sense of achievement and well being it bestows on the player are not something mastering software can truly offer imv, (I've had to learn both in my career), but then again I am old school. On that basis, I voted a hesitant no. Youngsters will probably disagree and that's fair enough.

I'll just add that I use a laptop to compose with occasionally so I can regard it as a kind of instrument. I use the software below, it is quite remarkable especially for someone like me who prefers writing on manuscript. (like I said, old school :) ).

https://www.staffpad.net

·
Banned
16,021 Posts
I know what you mean but I disagree.
So a wind machine used in an alpine symphony is a musical inst, a Cannon used in the 1812 overture is a musical inst an ambient sound in 4.33 etc etc.
If you use a violin to play table tennis does that make it a table tennis bat?
Lots of things can be used to do other tasks other than that which it was designed for but they remain whatever it was that it was designed for.
Neither my desk top or lap top can make music as in their original condition.:tiphat:
This is a non-comprehension of the nature of computers. What if I had a tool that could be morphed in to a violin, or a crescent wrench? Then all this violin/ping-pong analogy becomes meaningless.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Are tape recorders musical instruments? What if I tape a violin solo, and then play it back? It's making music, right?

A laptop is only the casing. Depending on the type, a computer could be a synthetic instrument or an instrument emulator, but it's a different kind of beast than a violin.

Are houses chairs? I can sit on a house, so yes. Prove it wrong.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In an electronic music course I took back in college the definition given to music was "organized sound". That could mean anything-- even RAP! So, I guess you could organize dropping your laptop on the floor and call that music.
I voted no.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Seeing as though the universe exists inside of a laptop, I'd bargain to say it's the only musical instrument.

341 - 353 of 353 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.