Classical Music Forum banner

Do your musical tastes change over time?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Abstain.

My Classical Music taste is static inasmuch as... once I like a classical piece, I will continue to like it. There are virtually no exceptions to this (Verdi comes close, though).

This is as opposed to rock/pop music, where I DO have those moments where I say "what did I ever see in ___________?"

My Classical Music taste in dynamic in the sense of "expanding." Works that I'd rejected previously, or had been unwilling to give a complete hearing are finding their way well into my sphere of appreciation.

Reactions: mstar

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Point being... I think this thread would be a good launching point for the interesting question: "to what extent do your musical tastes change over time?" We've achieved that rara avis of message board participation, unanimity on the header question... so then the topic can be distilled further, to the question of how and how much our changes in musical taste have occurred.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Abstain added to poll ... :D (for future votes)
As the chess analyst used to write: "having said 'A,' I might as well say 'B.'" My vote has been cast--

But seriously... I frequently read other posters, in this and other places, who say that they have wearied of the "warhorses." I don't really have that feeling- I still enjoy the "gateway" works that were representative of my first forays into Classical Music. They include Tchaikovsky ballet music, Suppé overtures... heaven help me- even Johann Strauss waltzes. Perhaps it's a minority opinion, among those who've had a few decades of listening behind them, but it's the way I feel, all the same.

Reactions: Dr Johnson
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.