Classical Music Forum banner

Do your musical tastes change over time?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
Most definately mine change. I was into Rap and Pop and the sort as a pre teen, but grew out of it. I was diagnosed with clinical depression as an early teen, and still do. I found Metal music to help my emotion stabalize, as well as classical music and jazz. I appreciate the extreme talent and technicallity in the genres, which is what first attracted me to them, but then I started to get a musical taste for it, and became a metalhead... THAT LOVES CLASSICAL ALSO :p haha.

Registered
Abstain added to poll ... :D (for future votes)
As the chess analyst used to write: "having said 'A,' I might as well say 'B.'" My vote has been cast--

But seriously... I frequently read other posters, in this and other places, who say that they have wearied of the "warhorses." I don't really have that feeling- I still enjoy the "gateway" works that were representative of my first forays into Classical Music. They include Tchaikovsky ballet music, Supp茅 overtures... heaven help me- even Johann Strauss waltzes. Perhaps it's a minority opinion, among those who've had a few decades of listening behind them, but it's the way I feel, all the same.

Reactions: Dr Johnson

Registered
Some stuff's stayed with me most of my life like funk, classic soul, 'world fusion' and what some people call 'electronica'. Everything else has come and gone either for a short time and never to return or in repeated phases - hard rock, country, bluegrass, folk, CM, jazz, Latin, punk, reggae, cajun, metal....But I've come across many middle aged people on various music fora who still largely listen to the stuff of their youth, esp prog and hard rock fans, while dismissing most music made after 1990.

Registered
Not so much change - expand is closer to the truth. By which I mean that I still love the music I loved ten, twenty or thirty years ago, but I've just added new things to what I already loved.

G

I used to listen to a lot of extreme new music, such as Xenakis, Ferneyhough, Finnissy, Tristan Murail, etc., but now I need a lot more memorable melodies! (Schnittke is about as far as I enjoy these days.) I also used to basically ignore the classic era, but now I find myself genuinely enjoying Mozart and Haydn.

Registered
I started to become a classical music freak around the age of 13 when I discovered classical LPs in my public library.Before then, I wasn't particularly musical at all, and I've never been a fan of Pop or Rock etc. It's not that I dislike them, they just don't give me anything close to what I get out of classical music. I'm not a snob ; I don't look down on other people for being Rock or pop fans ,and am a strong believer in the idea
"De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum."
I enjoy all kinds of classical music, orchestra,opera,chamber music ,paino music , art songs, choral works,you name it.
I like as much variety as possible, and it's very frustrating for me to hear the same old pieces over and over. I'm very open to listening to challenging works by contemporary composers,and always try to keep an open mind.

Registered
Thanks to classical, there is even some pop music that I used to enjoy that I can no longer stand. There are some artist that I get burnt out on. In a few months, they might be revisited again.

Registered
Well my tastes have broadened. I can't say I now dislike any music that I once liked. But in my arrogant youth I was dismissive of many composers - such as Chopin and Rachmaninov - whom I now l really like. So the relative position of say Brahms in my personal composer ratings has declined. Still love him though.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.