Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 10.5%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know the tide will go against me, but can't help wondering if any others feel as I do. I am preferring Don Pasquale to Barber of Seville. There are some similarities in that both are about deceiving an old man. Both have ladies of fiery temperament. There are other similarities. I think I like that Don Pasquale keeps me interested throughout, whereas Barber of Seville seems to drag in places, especially the beginning. Or maybe its just that I have heard the Barber too many time and Don just has a fresh feel that I no longer get from the Barber.

EDIT:

Oops, I did it again. This should have been in the opera forum, not the opera on CD/DVD sub-forum. :eek:

Oh well. For what it's worth, probably doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
Liszt, Bruckner, Chopin, Wallace, Bortkiewicz.
2,776 Posts
I went for the Don, despite the fact that both the Operas have the problem of the stark beginning and the weak ending. (I like these polls, despite the fact that sometimes the discussion is going nowhere).

Reactions: SixFootScowl

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like Don Pasquale is significantly shorter than Barber of Seville, perhaps by about 20 minutes by looking at various CD sets timings. Of course it depends on how much is cut in any performance, but in general the Don seems to be shorter than the Barber.

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I asm still liking Don Pasquale better. One place where they are unequal is that there are not many recordings of Pasquale. Probably 5 to 10 times more recordings of the Barber.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
I see I voted for Barbiere and I haven't changed my mind. The rather cruel humour of Don Pasquale puts me off, though I like the music.

Rossini's comedy is almost a perfect realisation of the original play, closer in spirit to its source than Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro. Da Ponte and Mozart add a certain amount of depth lacking from the original, which is more or less pure farce. Rossini's quickfire, effervescent comedy is just that - pure comedy.

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The rather cruel humour of Don Pasquale puts me off, though I like the music.
Yes it is a rather nasty deception. My only consolation is that in the end Don Pasquale gives in and is happy for the couple.

Reactions: Tsaraslondon

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes it is a rather nasty deception. My only consolation is that in the end Don Pasquale gives in and is happy for the couple.
Or should we say, the spoiled brats get their way in the end. I guess this is a pretty shabby story. But still I like it, probably more for the music.

Reactions: Tsaraslondon

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, Ernesto better make sure Norina is not a gold digger. Her fiery personality could easily overwhelm Ernesto who could become more-or-less her servant. Maybe Ernesto should have listened to his uncle after all. I think we need a sequel to Don Pasquale.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts