Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any duets for harpsichord and lute? Closest I've come is some fantasias by Boccherini for guitar and harpsichord. I guess almost any music for guitar & keyboard could be played on lute + harpsichord, but I'm having trouble finding anyone who actually has.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Bream has done a few duets with harpsichordist George Malcolm, but they are probably arrangements

CORINA MARTI and MICHAL GONDKO have several CDs with 15th-16th century music for lute + early harpsichord/clavichord/whatever

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
Does anyone know of any duets for harpsichord and lute? Closest I've come is some fantasias by Boccherini for guitar and harpsichord. I guess almost any music for guitar & keyboard could be played on lute + harpsichord, but I'm having trouble finding anyone who actually has.
I think this is a really nice combination. I'm sure I'll remember some other things later but these come to mind straight away:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007XOW6IA/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp (the first suite)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jacques-Ch...51628&sprefix=chambonnieres+cd,aps,47&sr=8-12

(You'll have to search for the pieces -- played with Claire Antonini on lute)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Organism Font Art Landscape Painting

Skip Sempe on a Bruce Kennedy Pascal Taskin Copy(the statement on CD booklet as a 17th century model is incorrect.)with lutenist Brian Feehan.

Label: DHM

Rectangle Font Violet Material property Magenta

Olivier Baumont on an original anonymous french 17th century double in a parisian private collection. Claire Antonini: lute and theorbo. Label: ‎AS MUSIQUE

For lute and harpsichord duets, I recommend these 2 sets of Cds of Jacques Champion de Chambonnieres(1601-1672) music, not all tracks are duet but partial numbers of them. Beautiful music and instruments. Sound quality of both sets are very good too.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
There is a recording of Bach's Organ Trios played on Harpsichord and Guitar (called "Bach with Pluck" maybe). There's also a Naxos recording of Sylvius Leopold Weiß on harpsichord and guitar/mondolin? I think.

·
Registered
644 Posts
To my knowledge there is no original body of work for lute and harpsichord duo. In their CD Barricades the lutenist Thomas Dunford and harpsichordist Jean Rondeau play a selection of French Baroque chamber works, most of them originally for solo lute (e.g. de Visée), harpsichord (Couperin, d'Anglebert) or even bass viol (Marais), and perform them as duos. The excellent performances seem to be semi-improvised.

·
Registered
112 Posts
to my knowledge there is no original body of work for lute and harpsichord duo. In their cd barricades the lutenist thomas dunford and harpsichordist jean rondeau play a selection of french baroque chamber works, most of them originally for solo lute (e.g. De visée), harpsichord (couperin, d'anglebert) or even bass viol (marais), and perform them as duos. The excellent performances seem to be semi-improvised.

no! Absulotely hate it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts