Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
A Swinging Safari. Classic! My ringtone for years.

Relaxing to some classic Bert. Just after some Classic Burt. Dusty sings the definitive "Look of Love"
Where Flamingo's Fly is playing now from Bert's If I had you lp.

'easy listening'-'guilty pleasures'?

have spent a lot of time recently listening to Burt Bacharach songs-my son is one of a cast of seven in a West End production based entirely around the great mans music and I have been to see the show many times-and when I actually hear his songs in that context I am repeatedly reminded of how great a composer he is-if 'I say a little prayer', 'look of love', 'what do you get when you fall in love' etc are easy listening then I am not even sure it is a 'guilty pleasure'.......

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
My favorite version of The Look of Love is the knockout version by Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66. The close miking of the lead singer makes it sound like she is singing softly in your (my) ear, and then the whole ensemble wraps it up in an irresistible Latin beat, with horns, etc. Bacharach is a genius, no doubt about it. Anyone who had a heart (or ears) would agree.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Starting to question that I understand "easy listening"? To me it's innocuous background stuff that is pleasant, but you wouldn't listen to twice if you really paid attention to it the first time.

Dusty, Frank, Ella and Dino? Not easy listening background music for me.
Your definition makes sense. I think the trouble started when record stores started filing pop which was a few decades old under Easy Listening, which came to mean 'music for old codgers that isn't classical or some kind of really hardcore jazz'. I remember being mortified when I went to Our Price to buy Elvis cassettes and found them in the Easy Listening section. I knew he was pretty uncool in the mid 80s, but to put him in with all the granny music like James Last just seemed unnecessarily cruel. :)

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
Your definition makes sense. I think the trouble started when record stores started filing pop which was a few decades old under Easy Listening, which came to mean 'music for old codgers that isn't classical or some kind of really hardcore jazz'. I remember being mortified when I went to Our Price to buy Elvis cassettes and found them in the Easy Listening section. I knew he {Elvis}was pretty uncool in the mid 80s, but to put him in with all the granny music like James Last just seemed unnecessarily cruel. :)
Twas. But one must remember, the "crossover" was largely his own doing. Such as, the cheesy Vegas ensembles with wrestling belt. My impersonation...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Easy Listening or "Elevator Music" is full of musical delights. At its best, from the 1950's-1960s, it is a kind of orchestral Impressionism created by arrangers of considerable talent. I'm thinking, for example, of some of the Paul Weston mood albums, or the early 101 Strings (the musicians of which were actually members of the Stuttgart Symphony! Talent was cheap in post-war Europe and many American budget labels sought it out). If you can find lps in thrift shops that are in good condition, buy them!

·
Registered
969 Posts
View attachment 81228

Bought these today at 50 cents each. Seemed fair when I was in the shop. After first listening I'm not so sure...:)
Two Conniff tracks are nice, almost real music ! Need...more... wine
Don't know that album but Billy Butterfield played the single greatest solo on any of Sinatra's recordings.
Easy listening...:confused:

21 - 40 of 70 Posts