Classical Music Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I love Il Pulcino Pio ('The Little Chick') - a high-pitched reggaeton summer hit from a few years back. It has been recorded in many languages (Italian, Spanish, German, English, French, Portuguese, Romanian, Greek, Georgian, Arab, Chinese, Polyglot) and genres (Gangnam, Extreme Metal, Batman, Karaoke). There are chicken revenge versions etc. A lot of fun to compare them!

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Font Line Building Symmetry Tints and shades

'60s movie music themes popular on AM radio. Those were the last days of being a truly cohesive society, being aware of and respecting each other's taste.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I spent hours and hours, growing up, laying on the living room floor right next to my dad's Klipschorn copy that he built from plans in Popular Science. We would put on Arthur Lyman and I'd be washed over by the deep bass waves.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Any love for Bacharach's albums 'Reach Out' and 'Portrait in Music'? I got to know these in my teens whilst playing jazz guitar and was seduced by his chords. The songs on these albums have some quirky and distinctive orchestration and use of unusual instruments like the Ocarina. Turns out he was a good arranger as well as songwriter. Hell even his strained and out of tune voice had character.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Can somebody enlighten me why Easy Listening is a guilty pleasure? I thought Easy Listening was just a marketing term for some of the best music of the 50s and 60s including the Great American Songbook and Bossa Nova.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Can somebody enlighten me why Easy Listening is a guilty pleasure? I thought Easy Listening was just a marketing term for some of the best music of the 50s and 60s including the Great American Songbook and Bossa Nova.
"Easy Listening" was what was pushed off the radio by The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Prior to the British Invasion, Herb Alpert and Sergio Mendez and Paul Mauriat ruled AM radio. The Baja Marimba Band outsold the Beatles in 1964.

Therefore, "guilty pleasure" because it's what our parents listened to, for most of us.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Therefore, "guilty pleasure" because it's what our parents listened to, for most of us.
That makes me your odd uncle, if not your parents :) The first album I bought was "Hatari" a movie soundtrack by Henry Mancini. We rocked out to the Peter Gunn theme in high school pep band!

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
That makes me your odd uncle, if not your parents :) The first album I bought was "Hatari" a movie soundtrack by Henry Mancini. We rocked out to the Peter Gunn theme in high school pep band!
I also grooved on Hatari. Played at ear-destroying volume, there was nothing like it as it builds in volume. A friend of mine got fired from a summer job at a record store for cranking up The Sounds of Hatari to extreme limits over the shop's background sound system and thus "frightening the horses". He said he was going to quit anyway. :)

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Another non-guilty pleasure--the songs and voice of Laura Branigan. She had a quite distinctive voice with its Celtic catch and she also would let her voice break into ragged glory in a song like The Power of Love, about as over-the-top as a love song gets. Here she is in Show Me Heaven, a song first sung by Maria McKee (who I also love) but Branigan knocks the song out of the park.....

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Aha -- I played in a high school pep band too, mostly at basketball games. My first arrangements were done for pep band -- tpt., trb., alto & tenor sax, pno., bass, drums. Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, etc. And then go out for cokes and hamburgers at the White Spot Drive-In restaurant in Vancouver. Pretty tame stuff, with psychedelia and metal soon to come and no more pep band!

41 - 60 of 70 Posts