Classical Music Forum banner

Electronic Music Appreciation Topic

13K views 82 replies 33 participants last post by  Andante Largo 
#1 ·
There are several topics where electronic music can be posted and discussed, but these topics are still related to genres and I feel that is limiting.

In here you can post and talk about anything you like that is (largely) electronic. Just two rules:
1. Post one piece at a time
2. Say in a few words why you like it

Go!

#2 ·
I will start.
Here's a piece I like very much from a relatively obscure electronic/synth composer Paul Ellis. It's obviously inspired by the "Berlin School" music from the 70s, but it adds something fresh.
This is music you have to listen to with headphones, loud. It's a very visceral experience to me. I love its sounds and the way it slowly evolves and grows ever more intense, with added and changing layers. It creates structures.
Harmonically it may be monotonous, repetitive, without key changes, but I don't have a problem with that as long as the rest is so exciting.

Paul Ellis - Shining (with a cool video as well)

#4 · (Edited)
^^^ was enjoyable and I agree with what you say re. Build up and layers. But a few harmonic shifts would have worked wonders for me. But thanks for posting. I'm on iPhone so will have to wait till I can post any vids. :)

Referring to post#2

#5 ·

This piece makes me zone out so well. Anything on Warp Records means quality to me.

Plone is incredible. Subtle colors and just lovely lovely melodic lines.

#10 ·
I consider acid jazz to be electronic music although perhaps too traditional? Here is a lovely album for your enjoyment guys.

Samples and turntables used I think for Mark Farina?

Reactions: DeepR
#11 ·
I tend to like electronic dance music more than other types of electronic, but it's a very large genre and plenty I haven't heard. It's all about the different textures in electronic music for me. It all may be one instrument, the synthesizer, but it's a very capable instrument. People underestimate the effort that goes into producing electronic music. This is one of my favorite songs, mainly because of the pentatonic themes used in it:

#12 · (Edited)
personally ime not a big fan of electronic music in general but i am however a fan of kraftwerk, and also as a longtime radiohead fan, theit later albums which where touching on the electro side, i do also plan at sometime to have a listen to kiasmos, but thats only because ime a big fan of olafur arnaulds.

#13 ·
Here is the next volume of Mushroom Jazz that I dig.

#17 ·
Yes I am, yes it is. :)
I love the Constance Demby piece you posted as well. It has a soul stirring climax. It's largely improvised and made with the first generation of digital sampler synths. I posted it some time on the classical forums and it got trashed. Posting it in that forum was a bad idea, perhaps. But it's a pity some people are so biased against ambient, new age etc. and can't recognize its qualities. If you listen only once you're not going to hear it.

#15 · (Edited)
Hey, Albert. DeepR asked for one piece at a time. It's easy to forget in all the excitement, but I understand the reason.

I've grown to love electronica now that it has more sug-genres than there are stars in the galaxy. I don't care at all for the type of dance music that goes THUMP mmm THUMP mmm THUMP mmm THUMP mmm THUMP mmm THUMP mmm THUMP mmm THUMP mmm THUMP mmm THUMP mmm THUMP mmm THUMP :mad:, but other stuff is really fun for this older codger who remembers when synths were so new they actually frightened people.

So, though I love glitch, dubstep, ambient and newer stuff I don't even have a name for I'll start with really old school. Though it incorporates a little acoustic piano too, here's what electronica was for us in the 70s. (There are three pieces in the video, but the first one is representative and all I intended.)

[Edit: YT videos are starting to sound harsh and glaringly digital to my ears lately. What have they done? Compressed everything to death?]

Oh - I'm supposed to say why I like it. It's one of the first pieces I ever heard using completely synthesized percussion. I'm sure it's not THE first. Just the first I heard., and I have fond memories of hearing it surrounded by black light posters in a haze of incense and other smolderings. Also I think it's in 6/8? which is a little unusual for any kind of non-classical. No - I think it's polyrhythmic. Or maybe just 4/4 with triplets or different accents. Okay, I give up.

#18 ·
Here's a piece by Bluetech that combines an almost ambient or chill mood with some of the cool sounds I enjoy from the glitch sub-genre, but not overly harsh and a lot more melodically then say Autechre has done lately. (Although I really enjoy Autechre too.)

On a side note, it's getting hard to find single tracks on YT lately. People want to post full albums. I almost miss the days before 3 and 4 hour videos were allowed. It should be more about promoting than piracy.

#21 ·
This is an electronic music mixtape which is just incredible to hear, folks:

Reactions: arthro
#28 ·

The jittery beat, and the use of sampled and distorted strings in this track in particular is amazing. The atmosphere is completely saturated with sounds. its almost a game to figure out all that's going on within the track. every band is filled from low end to high. As a modern producer that's usually what you seek to do, but it only makes the EQing all the more frustrating!

I think some would be surprised at the nuances and even organic sounds that electronic music has to offer. It pains me when you talk about Electronic music and most don't know anything beyond techno. I could name some other more contemporary artists.

To name a few.

Kryptic minds and burial - Darker future garage and dub

Bonobo and sub-motion orchestra - trip hop jazzy fusion and dub

synchro and clubroot - lighter future garage and dub

holy other and Tycho - down tempo, Tycho in particular I would call a Post rock fusion.

that's just a few in there respected genres.

These are more of the softer listing types though even the infamous dubstep (which could be more described as any form of electronic music with a half time beat((not just modulated bass)) has some interesting things to offer.

I would suggest artists such a Seven Lions or Rameses B

I would absolutely love to share more! I would love to share some tracks from Sub-motion orchestra and Bonobo but those are not as largely electronic.

#30 ·

The jittery beat, and the use of sampled and distorted strings in this track in particular is amazing. The atmosphere is completely saturated with sounds. its almost a game to figure out all that's going on within the track. every band is filled from low end to high. As a modern producer that's usually what you seek to do, but it only makes the EQing all the more frustrating!
Ugh, yeah. Everything I do always sounds so murky and muddy. I try EQing and compressing etc but I can never get that clear well-produced sound. I like this anyway.

You mentioned him already but I've been meaning to post this here, always found this track really beautiful.

#29 ·
Here is some Japanese electro blissed out trip hop from, Tujiko Noriko

Here is some Japanese electro blippery that somehow manages to resolve itself into music from, Aoki Takamasa

And here they are together

Reactions: Schubussy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.