Classical Music Forum banner

Electronic Music Appreciation Topic

13K views 82 replies 33 participants last post by  Andante Largo 
#1 ·
There are several topics where electronic music can be posted and discussed, but these topics are still related to genres and I feel that is limiting.

In here you can post and talk about anything you like that is (largely) electronic. Just two rules:
1. Post one piece at a time
2. Say in a few words why you like it

Go!

Discussion starter · #2 ·
I will start.
Here's a piece I like very much from a relatively obscure electronic/synth composer Paul Ellis. It's obviously inspired by the "Berlin School" music from the 70s, but it adds something fresh.
This is music you have to listen to with headphones, loud. It's a very visceral experience to me. I love its sounds and the way it slowly evolves and grows ever more intense, with added and changing layers. It creates structures.
Harmonically it may be monotonous, repetitive, without key changes, but I don't have a problem with that as long as the rest is so exciting.

Paul Ellis - Shining (with a cool video as well)

Discussion starter · #16 ·
"The Dark Side of the Moog" series by Klaus Schulze & Pete Namlook are worth checking out. Here is the lush and laidback part IX:

Could've been a soundtrack for soft erotica or something, but in a good way. :)

Discussion starter · #17 ·

I looooooove space music.
BTW, DeepR, are you a fan of Steve Roach? Your avatar looks like one of his albums.
Yes I am, yes it is. :)
I love the Constance Demby piece you posted as well. It has a soul stirring climax. It's largely improvised and made with the first generation of digital sampler synths. I posted it some time on the classical forums and it got trashed. Posting it in that forum was a bad idea, perhaps. But it's a pity some people are so biased against ambient, new age etc. and can't recognize its qualities. If you listen only once you're not going to hear it.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
This is what I listened to in my early teens:

I was super hyped about Shpongle for a while (=Simon Posford (Hallucinogen) and some other hippie). It has largely lost its appeal to me. This track however still holds up today. It's just a fantastic journey with an incredible amount of detail.

And The Day Turned To Night

Discussion starter · #63 · (Edited)
Thanks. I admire Schulze's 70s classics, in fact I love them (Picture Music, Timewind, Moondawn, Mirage, X). He also made some cool music afterwards. But this sounds more lIke his typical noodling to me. Same chords and synth loop are used in other pieces (end of Dark Side of the Moog IX, see earlier in this thread). He just releases everything he's ever made. Hundreds if not thousands of hours of endless synth noodling and lots of rehashing. Sometimes there are nice moments, but he always drags it out for 30 minutes at least. Bottom line: I both love and hate his music. :)

Discussion starter · #65 ·
Steve Roach live in concert. I particularly like this track at 1:11:42:

An irresistible groove, didgeridoo on overdrive and bloody crow sounds. Who would've thought that could actually work. This is music to feel with the body. Headphones on and volume up.

Discussion starter · #69 · (Edited)
From one of dark ambient's biggest names: Lustmord - Dark Matter

I doubt the idea is entirely new, but the results are nice enough, if a bit boring.

"This project is derived from an audio library of cosmological activity collected between 1993 and 2003. It was gathered from various sources including NASA (Cape Canaveral, Ames, The Jet Propulsion Laboratory and Arecibo), The Very Large Array, The National Radio Astronomy Observatory and various educational institutions and private contributors throughout the USA. While space is a virtual vacuum, it does not mean there is no sound in space. It exists in space as naturally occurring electromagnetic vibrations, many well within the range of human hearing while others exist at different regions of the electromagnetic spectrum and these can be adjusted with software to bring them within our audio range. The recordings of these interactions in space come from several different environments including radio, ultra violet, microwave and X-ray data and within these spectra a wide range of sources including interstellar plasma and molecules, radio galaxies, pulsars masers and quasars, charged particle interactions and emissions, radiation, exotic astrophysical objects, cosmic jets and flares from magnetars. Conceived and Produced by B.Lustmord. Recorded in Los Angeles October-December 2015."

Discussion starter · #70 ·
Just listened to Raison D'Etre - Metamorphyses and I am reminded again of how much I love the darker side of ambient music. Especially these two tracks hit the right buttons.

Track 4
https://raisondetre.bandcamp.com/track/metamorphyses-phase-iv-4
Huge, chaotic, overwhelming. One of the finest pieces of noisy music I've ever heard.

Track 5
https://raisondetre.bandcamp.com/track/metamorphyses-phase-v-2
Gloomy and soothing at the same time. Once you're in that twilight zone, it's tempting to stay there forever.

Discussion starter · #74 ·
I currently can't stop listening to Peter Frohmader's criminally underrated 'Through Time and Mystery'. Peter took the formula for the archetypal 1980's science fiction, electronic soundtrack & created a true masterpiece. For me, no other album better portrays that mysterious dark underworld of fantastical creatures, black magic, phantoms & cursed temples.

Sounds interesting. Looking forward to a bedtime headphones session with this. Have you heard Lustmord - Heresy? That would fit your description as well. A headphones session in bed and you're in for one hell of a dark journey (it's still his best album I believe).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.