Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
This thread seems predicated on the complaint that the ETO has ceased to make merit its priority. This would assume that merit was always the priority in the past, and that any resulting lack of diversity was entirely coincidental. Maybe that was the case, maybe it wasn't. But if we're going to subject ETO's new policy to such scrutiny, it may be worthwhile to consider their old one.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
One hopes they are good musicians, but that's not the point. The director of the ETO has explained that competence was not the reason why the the musicians were replaced, it was because of their non-musical personal characteristics.
Call me a cynic, but if the ETO did indeed have a 100% (or close to it) white orchestra, it's hard for me to believe "non-musical personal characteristics" haven't played a role in their hiring practices for years.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I wouldn't call you a cynic, but you are dangerously close to implying that 'two wrongs make a right'.
Two wrongs don't make a right. But there is such a thing as righting a wrong.

How that may or may not apply in this situation is another question. I don't claim to have a definitive answer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts