Classical Music Forum banner
101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Prompted by the recent moves to sanction Gergiev and Netrebko, I wondered whether anything more came of this story.

Do we know whether any of the "sacked" musicians took the ETO to tribunal for unfair dismissal? If so, were they successful, or are we awaiting an outcome?
Well, they weren't dismissed. They just received letters saying they wouldn't be hired back because they weren't members of minorities. So surely no one has launched any such tribunal?

·
Super Moderator
30,506 Posts
Moderators
???????????

QUOTE=FrankinUsa;2225465]
I ask the moderators to reopen the Gergiev and Netrebko threads.

This is an emotional time.
Not going to happen. Far too many posts without musical content. We've given both threads plenty of chances, but the frequent instructions to stay within the limits of the Talk Classical Terms of Service were ignored over and over again. Yes, these are emotional times, no, Talk Classical is not the site to discuss these matters.

Also a pre-emptive warning: this thread is specifically about the English Touring Opera case. Let's keep it that way.

·
Registered
Sibelius, Beethoven, Satie, Debussy
1,693 Posts
Well, they weren't dismissed. They just received letters saying they wouldn't be hired back because they weren't members of minorities. So surely no one has launched any such tribunal?
Well, that was my view too, but others here thought that rights had been breached and we should see some action.

My guess is that if any of those who were not re-engaged took advice on any action they might take, they drew a blank.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Well, that was my view too, but others here thought that rights had been breached and we should see some action.

My guess is that if any of those who were not re-engaged took advice on any action they might take, they drew a blank.
Okay. That would be my guess as well. I live in Canada, and I know here that courts generally do not consider diversity measures as racial discrimination even if they result in partially race-based hiring processes (our constitution explicitly exempts affirmative action programs from being racial discrimination). I would presume it would be similarish in the UK. Many members here are from the US though, and it seems there lots of states take a more hard line against affirmative action programs and diversity measures so it might be that some of the members who thought legal action would be taken herald from the US.

101 - 105 of 105 Posts