Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Purcell inspired other composers centuries after his death. First of all it's Britten. Lately Michael Nyman produced variety of music based on Purcell's, "The draughtman's contract" and others.

The most of music for movies parasitize on Wagner's and Puccini's operas. Wagner's pieces are used more frequently, Liebestod, the ride of the Valkyries and wedding march with big breakaway. The rest is strongly influenced by both Wagner and Puccini'.
"Adriana" is also like music for a film, where characters try to sing.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
"The recitativo stromamento, an expression of deepest agitation and despair, was part of opera even in the seventeenth century; but it was Bach who introduced it to instrumental music. The Chromatic Fantasy is probably the first instrumental work consciously to attempt the portrayal of an emotional state—grief—from a first-person perspective. Vivaldi's concerto Grosso Mogul, opus 3, has a recitative section that is similar in this regard, and Bach himself set a version of it for organ as BWV 594, but this is at most a hint of what is to come."
<'Johann Sebastian Bach: Life and Work', By Martin Geck · 2006, pg. 489-490>

"Pa-ven-ta!.. Pa-ven-ta!.. Pa-ven—"

·
Registered
181 Posts
I love the Wizard of Oz and Wagnerian themes definitely influenced the repeated themes in the movie. The music of the witch was definitely influenced by Wagner.
I also see Wagner heavily influencing John Williams in the Star Wars movies both in the themes and the sound of the music.
I think those Wagnerian leitmotiv techniques inspired most film scores (maybe one of the few things I find I can agree with Adorno about)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Does the soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange count?

Also Kurt Weill & Bertholt Brecht wrote both operas and musicals. The Three Penny Opera and The Rise and Fall of Mahogany (from which The Doors covered the song about whiskey bars).

21 - 25 of 25 Posts