Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Following the sad passing of my father in law, we have in an apartment in New York a collection of over 1,800 classical CDs that we need to sell, offload, donate etc and not being part of this community not sure what to do with them. We have traced the majority (+1500) on discogs and they can be viewed here: https://www.discogs.com/user/mhermancds/collection

The other 250-odd are largely the same ilk.

Any thoughts or assistance that this community might be able to offer, would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
David,
How fast do you need to unload them? Do you need to clear the space? If you're not in any hurry, leaving them listed on Discogs will probably yield you the biggest return -- but it'll take months or years.

If you can't wait, you could offer them locally as a "collection" for one hugely-discounted price. Somebody MIGHT bite if the price is right.

Otherwise, donating to a library or nursing home for the tax deduction is probably your quickest option.

Looking over the titles very quickly, the collection looks like a labor of love. It's too bad the love for the collection died with your FIL.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
This looks like an interesting and unusual collection, with a lot of fairly obscure composers and recordings.

The challenge will be getting the list in front of the right eyes. I would suggest that you post a link to your Discogs inventory to the Facebook group "The Classical Recordings Exchange", and be sure to mention the eclectic/esoteric nature of the collection.

Good luck...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello NoCo.

Thanks very much for your advice and feedback. We've kind of lucked out in that we found a dealer on Discogs that has stock very much of the same vein as the collection, calling it a little goldmine of treasures. You're right in that the only option would be to sell them individually, but that'll take forever. Plus, we live in the UK so logistical nightmare!

But again, thanks for taking the time out to help in this situation. Classical people evidently nice people too!

David

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Indeed a fine collection. A lot of my favorite discs are there, as well as quite a few I would not mind adding to my collection, which is already too large. I feel my heirs will face a similar situation as do you right now. Hopefully they will show the concern you have for this collection. The word "dumpster" haunts my waking hours, many of which are spent listening to this same music in your collection. If you donate these to an "old folks home", please let us know where it is. I may just take up residence, along with my portable CD player and headphones.
I'm glad you posted these on Discogs. If you create a sellers account you will likely be able to pass off quite a few of these, if the price is right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts