Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fav has got to be Andante from Bach's Brandenburg Concerto 2, Vaughan Williams's Sea Symphony and Holst's The Planets... And not forgetting, Bach's Double Violin Concerto in D minor. :D
I adore Schubert's Death and the Maiden also...but that would be under ensemble work.... <_<
What abt. yrs? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Bach's Double ( 2nd movement) is one of the most beautiful 'thing' in the world... not just talking abt music alone... :lol:
Brahms is an interesting fella ( Romantic Conservative )... At times, he's actually more 'English' than he is German. That's why the English adored him, and the germans hated him.... Liszt and Wagner disliked him too. There's actually a story to this... :) NVM that. <_<
I used to like his 4th symphony. But I got bored of the tight structure in the end. My fav Brahms's work is his Accademic Overture...Very vulgar and wagnerian output for this interesting fella. :) B)
Death and the Maiden is fascinating. I think all violinists or string players will love this. It's amazing how the theme keeps anchoring and spinning around the D note. I noticed that alot of work with 'death' as theme are always anchored on 'D' note. How strange indeed... :blink:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by daniel@Jul 17 2004, 08:17 PM
Brahms....in present my favourite piece: The first piano concert! I am really addicted to it nowadays :p
[snapback]47[/snapback]​
Hey! It's one of my personal fav too. The slow movement is beautiful. Is this the one he wrote for his Mum? Or was it the 2nd? :blink:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Oh yes the slow movement is really wonderful - and ...:D sight readable. As I grabbed the score, one of my first things was sight reading the piano part. First and third movement: impossible. But 2 nd movement is good to sight read :p

For his mum... I didn't know that he wrote one of it for his mum. His mum must have been very proud :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really love the Pines of Rome and the Fountains of Rome. They are very colorful. I also like Scheherazade symphonic suite. It takes you on a nice trip!

The Beethoven symphonies are of course great. I like no. 5 most of all. The Dvorak New World Symphony is so wonderful also. Hmmm.... There is just SO much music, I can only think of a few great pieces...!

Oh! Another great work is Pictures at an Exhibition by Moussorgsky... You can really capture what each painting is through his music.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The Dvorak New World Symphony is so wonderful also
Belongs to my favs too!!!

also Beethoven 5 th (nice version with Gould :p)

One thought which comes to my mind: if I say: i love Beethoven 5 th, Mozart g-minor symph, or bach double or Dvorak "New World" you are put a bit in a cliche of over played music, which is liked by everyone. I just feel so sometimes, do you know what i mean? And it makes me angry! :angry:

Some escape and say that they love exotic pcees, just to be different than the crowd.

I think saying i love Mozart symph 40 shouldn't be longer a cliche, because it destroys the music, the art for itsself.

Do you know this feeling?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
.....Oh! Another great work is Pictures at an Exhibition by Moussorgsky... You can really capture what each painting is through his music......
Yes! This's one of my personal fav. The piano part is just so challenging. I'm addicted to it! And it's marvellous how short yet estatic each 'impression' is. I remember Horowitz did a wonderful performance for this.
U simply must try the piano version if u haven't. It's one of the most sensible and greatest transcription ever done.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My favorite orchestral music is (not in order):
Handel's Fireworks music
Bach's first Orchestral suite
Grieg's Holberg Suite
Sibelius' Karelia Suite
Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony
Mozart's "Jupiter" Symphony (esp. last movement)
Handel's Concerti a due cori
Handel's Harp Concerto
Mozart's Clarinet Concerto
Mozart's Flute & Harp Concertos
Vivaldi's Concerto for Two Horns
Vivaldi's Concerto for Two Flutes
Haydn's London, Farewell, and Hornsignal Symphonies (and a couple others)
Many of Mozart's Symphonies
Handel's Water Music
Corelli's Christmas Concerto
Marcello's Oboe Concerto
Bach's Violin Concerto in E
Beethoven's 5th Piano Concerto
2nd movement of Beethoven's 5th Symphony
Last movement of Beethoven's Violin Concerto
Excerpts from Swan Lake and Nutcracker Suite by Tchaikovsky
Most of Brahms' earlier Hungarian Dances
Bach's Chaconne (when played by orchestra)

Oops! out of time, and the list is pretty long anyhow...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Lots!

Beethoven's Symphonies, in particular #6 Pastoral Symphony
Pictures at Exhibition is another fave!
Mozart's Jupiter Symphony (I've been listening to this a lot recently)

Yes Daniel, I agree about liking popular orchestral music. The stuff everyone likes moves me too! Just because everyone out there knows about Beethoven's 5th, doesn't mean it's not a great piece of music to be loved and cherished by all! :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hee hee, I know most of you are classical music lovers...and I am too...but I know much more about musical theater than anything...LOL. I am in love with the overture too the musical "Phantom," NOT the phantom of the opera...but "Phantom." :p Somehow I can picture that as my life soundtrack...and I just want to get up and dance ballet too it!!! LOL!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
158 Posts
about pictures in an exhibition,

have heard a bit of the orchestrated version, and I love the original piano version much more. I have it with richter, live in the "sofia recital" 1958, one of the most legendary performances of all time :eek:

the answer to daniel's question, is the original mussorgsky version that bad, is basically no, its wonderful, there has just been too few pianists who can make music with it.

about the orchestral music question.

I don't have that much purely orchestral music, in that department I would have to go with the old cliché, tchaikovsky's pathetique. the thing is simply heaven. (more like hell)

as for concertos, I would say the brahms is wonderful, bach double concerto is also heavenly, but my favourite would be the third movement, the counterpoint just blows me away :blink:

hmmmm, I am sure I have other things that are nice, but I can't think of any right now

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.