Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I don't have one favourite quartet (maybe because i have a mixed collection of quartets)

I adore like you death and the maiden.

And the Mendelssohn quartets: so amazing. The op. 80 f-minor (Fanny's Requiem) is one of the most moving pieces ever written.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What about Shostakovich? His string quartets are very great. Death and the maiden I am also fond of. The beethoven string quartets are wonderful. Brahms quartet no. 1 is so beautiful. The second mv. is really warm and lovely.

·
Registered
149 Posts
strauss

Unfortunatly the Sextet is the only peice of chamber music I've heard by Strauss. His chamber music is hard to find. I've heard the Sextet both in a reccording along with the Brahms sextet, and as it was originally intended, as the overture to Strauss' opera "Capriccio". Though his idea of using a string sextet to open an opera is original, the opera itself isn't very good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
DW said:
My fav quartet is Tackas. Their complete recordings of Haydn's early and late works were superb, so is their interpretation on Schubert's Death and the Maiden.
Wild enough, yet beautifully refined. :D
I also like Takacs a lot, in fact just went to seen a concert of them in New York.
The Emerson String Quartet also is relly great.

·
Registered
149 Posts
capriccio

I didn't mean to imply that it was awfull or anything like that. When I said it wasn't very good, I meant just that; I didn't think it was Strauss' best. Nearly everything Strauss wrote was good. Personally I preffer Elektra and Ariadne auf Naxos.
However, all this might have changed, I haven't listened to it in nearly a year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ray

The Italiano Quartet made two extraordinary recordings: Webern's opus 5, 9 and 28 and, from their complete recording of Beethoven's Quartets the 12th, opus 127. But I also love their version of the the opus 132.
As for Schubert, I prefer the Alban Berg recordings and those of the Viena Philarmonic Quartet (with Boskovsky).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new to here.

Some of you were talking about Strauss chamber music. Apart from the Capriccio Sextet, he also wrote 2 Piano Trios, a Piano Quartet, a String Quartet, at least 5 pieces for Piano Quartet, a set of variations for String Trio.

There are a few chamber music I like, such as Brahms Piano Trio no.1 the original version, Beethoven Great Fugue, Nielsen String Quartet no.2, Schubert the BIG G major quartet, Debussy Soanta for Flute, Viola and Harp, and Strauss Piano Quartet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
DW said:
My fav quartet is Tackas. Their complete recordings of Haydn's early and late works were superb, so is their interpretation on Schubert's Death and the Maiden.
Wild enough, yet beautifully refined. :D
Oh I thought they only recorded Op 76 for Haydn! My bad.

My favorite ensembles are (in no particular order) the Talich, Tackas, Juilliard (early stuff only), Vegh, Ysaye, Panocha, ABQ (early stuff only), Hungarian (early stuff only), Tokyo (early stuff only) and Mosaiques. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
As for my favorite string quartets... Haydn (Op 20 and beyond), Mozart's mature ones, all of Beethoven's, the late Mendelssohn's, the late Dvorak's, all of Bartok's, all of Shostakovich's, Schnittke's #2,3 and Ligeti #2. :)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.