Classical Music Forum banner
281 - 293 of 293 Posts
G

·
I watched "Romeo and Juliet" (Stuttgart Ballet) yesterday with my 8y/o grand-daughter, promising to take her to Sydney Opera House soon to see a ballet in live performance. She sat through the whole thing while I explained what was happening. It really is a wonderful work, especially the Cranko.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Two separate answers.
The most perfect classical ballet for me is Swan Lake. The score is filled with great melodies and stands up well as a piece of music without the dancing. And the music seems to take a number of interpretations. I am no ballet expert, although I have seen it on the stage many years ago, but having spoken to friends with far more knowledge than me of such matters the Matthew Bourne all Male version is a very modern and impressive take miles from the traditional Pepita classical blueprint.
But then there is Pineapple Poll. I have seen the John Cranco ballet on the stage and enjoyed it. But the Charles Mackerras score stands out as a concert piece in its own right. He adapts Sullivan’s music so brilliantly that it is difficult to believe that it is not an original work by him. Tunes run into each other and even the joining passages are by Sullivan. Paradoxically a sequel, lady and the fool, using music by Verdi is far less successful.
So I nominate Pineapple Poll as my favourite musical ballet Score whilst fully accepting that as a complete ballet experience Swan Lake must rule supreme.

G

·
It depends on whether you like "white ballet". I do like it but I prefer a more overtly narrative-driven experience like "Romeo and Juliet". Tchaikovsky was a master of theatre music and undoubtedly his scores have contributed to the standing and endurance of those ballets. They are, in fact, textbooks on ballet technique - despite the fact that the males don't have more dominant roles.

Speaking of technique:

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I watched "Romeo and Juliet" (Stuttgart Ballet) yesterday with my 8y/o grand-daughter, promising to take her to Sydney Opera House soon to see a ballet in live performance. She sat through the whole thing while I explained what was happening. It really is a wonderful work, especially the Cranko.
I've taken my pre-8-year-old grand-nieces to several performances, "Nutcracker" (twice) and "Coppelia," and now that's how I'm known to them. We switched last year to "The Lion King," I was wondering at what age they would be ready for ballets with unhappy endings. I planned to start with "Swan Lake," and I'm impressed that your granddaughter appreciated "Romeo and Juliet."

I also want to take them to Balanchine's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (or Ashton's). But what a convoluted plot.

Of course it's unlikely there'll be live ballet in NYC before next fall. By then there will be four of them old enough to attend, and the oldest will be turning 9.

G

·
I've taken my pre-8-year-old grand-nieces to several performances, "Nutcracker" (twice) and "Coppelia," and now that's how I'm known to them. We switched last year to "The Lion King," I was wondering at what age they would be ready for ballets with unhappy endings. I planned to start with "Swan Lake," and I'm impressed that your granddaughter appreciated "Romeo and Juliet."

I also want to take them to Balanchine's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (or Ashton's). But what a convoluted plot.

Of course it's unlikely there'll be live ballet in NYC before next fall. By then there will be four of them old enough to attend, and the oldest will be turning 9.
I do envy you with the wonderful ABT in New York, not to mention all the other treats you have at your fingertips. Just imagine what it would have been like taking the children to a Bernstein educational lecture with the NYPO - there were lots of kids in those audiences!! (BTW, the great man died 30 years ago just this last week, on the 14th!!) We have Sydney Opera House, which is a pleasant venue on the harbour. The grandson (he'll be 11 next month) has said he's 'not interested in dancing'!! While we were watching the closing scene of R&J he came into the loungeroom and said, "this looks like necromancy to me"!!!!

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I do envy you with the wonderful ABT in New York, not to mention all the other treats you have at your fingertips. Just imagine what it would have been like taking the children to a Bernstein educational lecture with the NYPO - there were lots of kids in those audiences!! (BTW, the great man died 30 years ago just this last week, on the 14th!!) We have Sydney Opera House, which is a pleasant venue on the harbour. The grandson (he'll be 11 next month) has said he's 'not interested in dancing'!! While we were watching the closing scene of R&J he came into the loungeroom and said, "this looks like necromancy to me"!!!!
LOL

I made my first visit to Australia last year. I did the backstage tour of the Sydney Opera House but the programming while I was there was not to my taste. I did catch the Australian Ballet in Melbourne performing Prokofiev's "Cinderella."

And my grandma took me to one of Bernstein's Young People's Concerts - well, technically a public rehearsal.

Just one thing - while I do attend ABT, my first love is for NYCB where I have been a subscriber for about a decade.

G

·
LOL

I made my first visit to Australia last year. I did the backstage tour of the Sydney Opera House but the programming while I was there was not to my taste. I did catch the Australian Ballet in Melbourne performing Prokofiev's "Cinderella."

And my grandma took me to one of Bernstein's Young People's Concerts - well, technically a public rehearsal.

Just one thing - while I do attend ABT, my first love is for NYCB where I have been a subscriber for about a decade.
I would just love to be there and see that, but my travel days are behind me. My mother used to tell me about those Bernstein Young People's Concerts as far back as the 1960s. They must have appeared on TV here but we didn't get a TV set until December, 1960!!! I was still young then and our TV reception was poor until 1965 when a local station came to our city. Until then we had these massive antennas sitting on our rooftops and they often came crashing down in high winds.

I do hope Australia turned on its charms for you during your visit last year. Sydney Opera House opened in 1973 and I think they're doing upgrades to it at the moment. The views from upstairs at the rear of the concert hall and opera theatre over the Harbour and Bridge are enchanting of an evening, especially in summer with the ferries and other boats.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agh...such a hard question for a balletomanne! But I'll try my best. I find myself usually gravitating towards three major works, and my liking being based on both their choreography and music.
First and foremost...."Les Sylphides"-( "Chopiniana"). You can't beat Fokine's dreamy white reverie paired with Glazunov's orchestration of the divine Chopin. And to think that it was the very first ballet with no argument...! oh dear.
Then Giselle. It was my earliest exposure to the art form, and I just adore the story and the very "musique dansante" Adams' score. Petipa's reworking of the old choreographical text is quite a masterpiece.
"Le Palais de Cristal"-( "Symphony in C"). What's not to like about this elegant homage by a French company using a wonderful French composer score-( Bizet)- masterly made by a White Russian choreographer-( Mr.B) to pay homage to the Grand Imperial Russian Ballet...?
I could go for many more..

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I'm not sure Serenade is my favorite ballet, but there is none that I like more. Just picked up Serenade: A Balanchine Story by Toni Bentley, a book devoted to the ballet and its creator.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Dance Athletic dance move Poster Entertainment Performing arts

My favourite ballet, like many others, is Swan Lake as the story is with in-depth meaning and music touches deeply in tears. I watched live performance many times and whatever the sad or happy ending version, it was always a unforgettable experience . To me, Svetlana Zakharova of Bolshoi Threatre (watched video) shows the best performance of Swan Lake

·
Registered
193 Posts
For pure pleasure in the choreography and the severely underrated musical scores, I almost always turn to the Petipa/Minkus collaborative masterpieces Don Quixote and La Bayadere.

281 - 293 of 293 Posts